Menu
Vmk
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer slow

Hello. When I turn on demand or catchup for iPlayer, it takes a very long time to open, a long time to download the requested program and, more often than not, stops during the viewing to download again. Am I right that the colourful spinning circle is indicative of downloading?

Anything to speed this up?

And what happened to ITV Hub? Where is it? Did it disappear earlier this year with other package channels?

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer slow

Assuming you're using a TiVo box and not a V6, then yes the app is not the quickest at loading.. but once a program starts it's quite normal for a few stutters & buffers to occur as the "adaptive bit rate" in the app settles at your current internet speed and gets the stream going. These shouldn't last beyond a minute and the program should then play smoothly. If not, then you probably have a fault and most likely one involving network congestion.

As regards ITV Hub, this content is delivered using the normal Video On Demand system rather than a separate app, so you can browse through the TiVo menus and play programs directly from there. Is there any particular program you're trying to find?

0 Kudos
halfhighlander
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry 'quite normal' is not really an acceptable answer especially when it works better on other equipment. Have a very similar issue, BBC iPlayer which we use as our main source of entertainment for is very slow at loading and general navigation around the app. Including programmes often stopping playing with 'unknown error'. The assumption is this is an issue with the TIVO box as it's was not a problem with the BT equipment under a slower broadband speed. It has only happened since starting with Virgin and the TIVO box and BBC iPlayer on tablets works fine. 

0 Kudos
wendye123
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm also experiencing the same issues with iPlayer. I've got used to the slowness of it, particularly on starting up, but now it keeps freezing part way through the programme and I have to try and resume play again. I did this several times last night, and gave up as it was beyond irritating - after about 40 minutes, I only got to watch less than 20 minutes of the programme. This isn't an issue on any other hub so not sure what the problem is.
0 Kudos
Vmk
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you to those who replied but it is confirmation that this problem isn't only me and Virgin Media should be doing something about this. I supposedly have a strong broadband signal and can have trouble connecting. iPlayer is still uneven on the Tivo box but fine on my laptop. What's that about? Get your finger out Virgin Media and clean up the connections with iPlayer. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Vmk, 

As advised before the iPlayer app is quite slow on on TiVo boxes 

Would you like me to have a look at swapping this out to a V6 box for you?

Gareth_L

halfhighlander
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth,

I would certainly be interested in seeing if the V6 box was better at dealing with iPlayer rather than contemplating leaving Virgin. At the moment certainly not getting a similar or better service than BT. Youtube also seems to be affected. Wondering if TiVo boxes are just 'under powered' in someway?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi halfhighlander

Thanks for replying

I Will send you a private message to pass security and arrange this swap 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
halfhighlander
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Follow up... Swap to V6 box solved all the problems. iPlayer works without any lag in menu selection or playback. Youtube also working at full speed :-)

0 Kudos
DavidTaylor
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am getting the exact same problem. Very slow, and often just stops. Seems to search for WiFi. Should it not be running this through the box? How do I change this? And if it is a problem, could I also get an exchange? 

David

0 Kudos