Menu
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer black screen

When finding a BBC programme using Search, the iPlayer app loads correctly and the programme starts, but only the sound plays and the screen stays black. If I switch on subtitles, they show up correctly against the black screen.

In the iPlayer settings I have tried both standard and HD definitions, also the beta app. But nothing changes the black screen.

All other play again channels display normally, it's just the BBC iPlayer that fails.

This is a long term problem, and I can get round it by connecting a streaming device. But I'm fed up with doing this and want to get the TiVo sorted.

Any suggestions please?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BBC iPlayer black screen

Hi jpeg1,

Thanks for posting.

I'd like to look into this for you so I'll just need to confirm your account.

I'm just going to pop you a private message which you will find if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen.

Talk to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Rose.

As I said in the PM this is now apparently OK. 

Previously I have always tried to access iPlayer programmes by finding them on Search.  For the first time I ran the TiVo iPlayer app and selected a programme that way.  It played properly straight away, and when I went back to the Search method that worked too.

Either this procedure cleared the problem, or something else happened at the same time by coincidence. Either way, it is now fixed. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Josh_RW
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi jpeg1,

Thanks for updating us, glad to hear it's working okay now.

Keep an eye on it and give us a shout if you get any more trouble.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Beckie42
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I’m also having this problem which is really frustrating as I want to catch up on programmes on there! 

I need help sorting it. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

HI Beckie42

Sorry to hear about this issue, is this the same after a reboot of your set top box? 

Are you able to access any other applications or Catch Up / On Demand services? Locating your account to run some tests on the line doesn't show any errors. 

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Beckie42
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes I’ve tried rebooting it and it doesn’t make no difference, Yeah I can seem to watch things on catch up and demand just nothing on bbc iPlayer or YouTube.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me Beckie42

I've run some more tests on the box this afternoon and we're still not detecting any errors. 

With that in mind, I'd like to keep an eye on this and monitor the boxes connection to the network to see what happens when a connection fails. 

If you're able to try and watch iPlayer this evening and then let me know if this happens, that would be great.

Talk soon

Craig

0 Kudos
Harneys85
Settling in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I am having the same problem with bbc Iplayer. Black screen but sound coming out 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Harneys85,

Thanks for posting.

Is this happening with every program on BBC iPlayer?

If you have a V6 then I'd recommend rebooting your V6 and superhub by the mains if you haven't already done so as this can resolve many issues.

Please let me know if there's any problems.

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos