Menu
old-mart
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BBC i player confusion

I'm new to Virgin media, having only started just after Christmas. I got the BBC i player running by registering with them and one of the things I wanted to record was the comedy quiz program QI. This may have got out of hand, as there are about 96 episodes available. I don't think they are actually on the hard drive of my V6 box as the used space doesn't seem enough. What am I doing wrong, if anything?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BBC i player confusion

You cannot store content that is on the iPlayer on the V6. You can only record content from live Broadcast channels. The iPlayer app streams the content over the internet from the BBCs servers just the same as if you were using the app on a tablet or a Smart TV.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
old-mart
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that explains it, I can choose to watch any of the 96 on offer. It is different from my old Sky HD box where the I player downloads via the phone line could be recorded.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Indeed - Sky TV has the issue that they have no control over your broadband speed and therefore have to allow for slow lines that can't stream reliably, so they have to use a "download and play" based system.

Virgin don't have this issue, so On-Demand is what it says.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The BBC iPlayer itself does now allow you to download programmes to mobile devices, as does Virgins TV Control app (certain broadcasters only). However this is only designed for you to view the programmes on these devices where there is no WiFi or internet connection.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos