cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC IPlayer on Tivo box freezes

wombat
Joining in

Watching BBC IPlayer on my Tivo box during the day works fine, but in the evening it will start to buffer and then eventually freeze altogether.  You cannot exit Iplayer or watch anything until eventually it will reboot itself.  Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If a TV box is restarting itself anything more than occasionally and overnight, it's got a fault.

You can either wait on here for VM staff to respond, or call into faults to report this.

TiVo's are now replaced with V6 boxes - they run the same software but on a much better physical box, providing you have VM home broadband.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for responding.  It is not randomly rebooting but seems to freeze on BBC iPlayer.  The first time was when it started to record another program and I thought that was what caused it to freeze.  The second time though it started to buffer at first and then froze.  Once it has done that you cannot get out.  I tried going back to normal TV but nothing happens, it remains on the frozen iPlayer.  After about 5 minutes it then rebooted.  This means that the recorded program is incomplete.  Is digital noise and jumps in recorded programs a fault with the Tivo box?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How long have you had this box?

This sounds like this is an aging box. Just like with other microprocessor driven kit as it gets older it gets more sluggish & is more prone to “fall over” when you ask it to multi-task.

BBC iPlayer is a known issue with the older TiVOs now as the modems struggle with the speed requirements of the app.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello wombat,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with BBC IPlayer.
I'd like to take a look into this for you. We definitely need to get this box swapped.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hello wombat,

Thanks for those account details.

No we have arranged the Technicians visit, Can you please keep me posted on how it went.

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

Fingers crossed but with the new box all seems to be working fine now.
Thanks.