Menu
squillian
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Audio description

Somehow I have inadvertently turned on audio description and I don't need it. I have tried turning it off via the info button, but if I turn it off from there I lose the sound altogether, even though the text shown says that turning it off will leave normal sound on. It doesn't! I can either have sound and audio description or no sound at all. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Audio description

The info button is the correct way to toggle AD. Is this happening on all channels or just specific ones?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
squillian
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I was watching channel 5 at the time, and I haven't checked any other channels. I am wondering though if this has anything to do with the problem I had recently when suddenly, and for no apparent reason, I lost sound on some channels and not others. After getting no response to my query about this, I googled it and someone suggested re-connecting to Virgin network and that cured the problem. Then tonight I was watching channel 5 when this commentary started up. I didn't even know such a facility existed previously, I only found out what it was by pressing the info button. It said that to turn off audio commentary press ok, but when I did that I lost the sound completely. I would imagine that AD is a very useful thing to a blind person, but if you can see what is going on it is very irritating. I have had my TIVO box for many years, does this mean it has now developed a fault? I don't want to lose all the programmes I have recorded on it and not yet watched back.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried toggling AD on/off more than once via the info tab? Some people have reported success by toggling it twice, if it claims to be off but is actually on.

See if the problem is specific to C5 SD/HD or also occurs on others.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
squillian
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did try several times toggling AD but it made no difference. Whenever I turned AD off, I lost all sound completely. A couple of days previously I had watched Death in Paradise on the Drama channel, and that had a commentary over it. At the time though I thought it was being done by the Drama channel, as I didn't realise that the AD facility existed on TIVO. Consequently, I didn't try to do anything about it as I didn't realise I could.

Previously though I'd had problems with no sound on several channels, but I don't know whether the issues were related. I thought I had sorted that one, but maybe not.

Just tried ch106 which currently has AD, and the toggling works as it should. I can turn AD off and I still have normal sound, but if I then go to ch105, no sound unless I turn AD back on!

With AD turned off I now have no sound on BBC2, ch104, ch105, ch108, and probably several others as before. If I turn AD back on these channels have sound again. Looks like the two problems are related.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi have you or someone in the household accidentally turned it on more than one channel, if so it may need turning off on individual channels. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
squillian
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mickey, I think the problem started when I lost sound on a whole load of channels a few weeks ago. I thought I had sorted it by re-connecting to the Virgin network, as sound was restored to all the channels, but then a few days ago I had this commentary start up over a programme I was watching on the Drama channel. I had no idea what was going on so I just watched the rest of the programme putting up with the commentary. Then I started watching something on channel 5 a couple of days later and the commentary started up again so I did some investigating. That's when I discovered the info button and realised I could turn off the commentary there, but when I tried it, all the sound went off despite what the text said. Now, if I turn off AD on any channel, there is no sound on many other channels as well as the one where I turned it off. So in short if I want to watch any channel where there is now no sound, I have to turn on AD.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi squillian,

Have you checked using this method to make sure AD is fully turned off on all channels?

Using your remote control Home> Help & Settings> Settings>Audio>Alternate Audio>Default Audio Language>  and make sure English is ticked, or any other nationality, rather than Audio Description

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
squillian
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

Just tried what you suggested on channel 108 (just at random). Default Audio Language was set on Audio description so I changed it to English, but it made no difference. If I turn off AD on channel 108 all sound still goes off, not just AD. I can only get sound back by turning AD back on. What I don't get is why AD was switched on in the first place as I didn't even know it existed. I certainly never switched it on and I believe the default setting is off. I also don't understand why the sound disappeared on a whole load of channels overnight, when they had been fine the day before.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi again squillian,

did you go to Home> Help & Settings> Settings>Audio>Alternate Audio>Default Audio Language>  and make sure English is ticked, or any other nationality, rather than Audio Description?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos