Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media 200 Vivid GAMER - any good?

Hi, I am considering upgrading my broadband to vivid 200 Gamer which offers no traffic management and 20mbps upload speeds - Does anyone on this subreddit have it and if so, would you recommend it for Twitch streaming?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media 200 Vivid GAMER - any good?

There is no traffic management on VM connections, either upload or download.  As VM's slowest connection is now 100 mbps down, 10 up, and even with Twitch your maximum needs when gaming are 5 down/5 up, why "upgrade" - to do so will offer you no gaming benefit?

And if you're with a different ISP, you may want to consider the small (but clearly measurable) latency overhead on any DOCSIS cable connection compared to Openreach. 

When VM works (and that's most of the time), it is entirely adequate for gaming, but VM isn't where I'd start looking for a gaming connection.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VIVID Gamer is long gone, it's an old package that is no longer available. The standard 200Mb service now has 20Mb upload and no traffic management (non of the current packages have traffic management).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Package you have suggested has not been around for a while as suggested by another User. However i am currently on 350mb with 35mb upload and it's perfect for gaming (For Me) no issues at all.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Im on the vivid 500 package and its banging!! we have a couple of Rokus constantly streaming iplayer and sky news, we have a plex server, and we have xbox one, playstaion3 and a gaming pc, a server, and a couple of nas drives, android boxes and several phones, ipads and smart tvs (3) which also are used to stream youtube and iplayers etc.. plus a couple of laptops.

Yesterday the xbox was downloading 100 gig for some halo game pack, and the gaming pc was downloading 80 odd gig for GTA5, and everything worked fine while these two devices were downloading at about 200mbps! 

Plus plex was streaming to my sisters house up north.. at 1080i.. so yeh.. id say the vivid 500 is well worth paying for, plus i get about 35mbps upload! best thing i ever did! i used to be on the vivd 200 but wanted better upload for my plex to stream to my family. if you can afford it do it! I would never go with BT unless you can get FTTP, otherwise virgin will smash them out of the park!

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Depends, if you can get FTTP Virgin's offerings are pretty weak, if you're stuck with standard copper cable or Virgin, Virgin's internet is hard to beat. The upload speeds are utter garbage on all their packages though, often only offering parity with much slower BT speeds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Weak? seriously? Virgin wipes the arse off of BT.. max of 76mbps over old copper lines unless it is fttp, in which case then yes, BT beats Virgin, but other than that the fibre to the cab then copper to the home is normally within a few hundred meters maximum so you still get much better speeds over an rg6 copper connection that an old one pair bt copper cable!!
FTTP is the way forward and Virgin are now doing this, how long its going to take to upgrade everyone from rg6 i have no idea, but I am on an rg6 connection from a tapbank in a pit and i get just under 600mbps download constantly?! I have no isses with that, most households dont even need anywhere near 200mbps download unless you are torrenting or some other illegal crap!!
** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos