Menu
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

PlayStation 5

What does everyone think of the announcement of the PS5?

It's coming next Christmas which means we have just over a year to wait! I'm fairly hyped about this and I think I will be buying it on release day.

They've released a few details just to whet our whistles as fans and it already sounds like an extremely powerful machine. Here are some of the points I grabbed from the Wired article.

• Supports ray-tracing
  • SSD 
  • 4k blu-ray player
  • Physical games will use 100Gb optical disks
  • Adaptive triggers
  • Haptic feedback
  • USB-C charging

Rumour has it that loading times will be really fast (It cut loading times from Spider-Man almost completely) and although there's no hard and fast news on backward compatibility at the moment, apparently we'll be able to play our PS4 library and potentially our PS3 library. Exciting stuff!

What is everyone else looking forward to? Will you be buying it or will you be waiting for the Xbox )currently nicknamed Project Scarlett) to arrive?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: PlayStation 5

I am currently waiting on the release of it. I will be pre-ordering it as soon as it's released to the public to buy. I really can't wait!

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm still waiting to see what the partnership between Sony and Virgin Media was for the launch of the PS4. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

From what I’ve read the SSD will only be small, if this is the case then it’ll only be able to have the OS on it unless you install a larger SSD or use an external drive.
Backwards compatibility with PS4 games only is most likely but full BC I doubt.

Will I purchase on release? No, unless there’s full BC or there’s a game I wish to purchase.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The PS5 Specs say

• Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
  • Expandable storage: NVMe SSD slot

This is a great move by putting a NVMe SSD slot in it, as these are very rapid in speed.

When i got my PS4Pro, I took out the 1TB HDD and put in a 500GB SSD, never looked back.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 500Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If the 4K BD player does Dolby Vision, I'll be binning the LG UP970 player I have (noisy thing)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

so its about 10 years behind PCs 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And it's also behind the Xbox One S/X as those consoles have a 4k blue ray drive and both consoles are Dolby Vision compatible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And here I thought we were beyond console wars and PC gaming master race..

If anyone is in any doubt, heres a handy flowchart as to which option is best for you.

Untitled Document.png

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have ane Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro so I do don't have that problem and if Sony had put a 4k blue ray drive in the PS4 Pro ( I'm wondering what company has already done that with their console) then they wouldn't need to play catch up on that part.

0 Kudos