Menu
Prso9
Dialled in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

PS4 External Hard Drive

Hi,

I am thinking of buying an external hard drive to store my PS4 games.

If I have an actual disk game and transfer that onto my external hard drive,  if I put the disk in a second PS4 console for the first time and plug in the external hard drive, does that mean I don't need to download the game from the disk cause it's on the external hard drive. 

Sorry if this is a stupid question! 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: PS4 External Hard Drive

@Prso9 wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking of buying an external hard drive to store my PS4 games.

If I have an actual disk game and transfer that onto my external hard drive,  if I put the disk in a second PS4 console for the first time and plug in the external hard drive, does that mean I don't need to download the game from the disk cause it's on the external hard drive. 

Sorry if this is a stupid question! 

You are correct, you don’t need to reinstall a game that is on the external hard drive if you move it to another PlayStation. If the games have been downloaded from PSN, then you will need to use the same PSN profile that bought them on the other PlayStation.

I have an external drive for my PS4 and use it to move my collection between it and my PS5. If you get a fast SSD external drive it should speed up loading times, it certainly did on my PS4 Pro with a Samsung T7 SSD.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks