cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC to FTTP

Powerplay27
Joining in

For anyone who moved from a Sky/ BT FTTC connection to Virgin Media FTTP.

Do you notice a massive improvement when playing video games, I know at times there could be lag/latency, but when things are as good as can be is there a massive difference? 

37 REPLIES 37

You cannot look at a few installations of VM's HFC network and extrapolate the whole network design. The legacy HFC network covers about 14.3m premises and the newer FTTP network about 1.2m. Furthermore VM announced a plan less than six weeks ago to upgrade its entire HFC network to full fibre by using existing ducts by 2028.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Harvey_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

If its still only fibre to the cabinet then they wont advertise it as FTTP, they'd say "fibre" but thats UK laws around advertising. If its coax up to your property then its what we call HFC, hybrid fibre coax. or most refer to it as FTTC as you pointed out.

1gig over coax though vs 1gig over fibre really shouldn't make a difference to 99.9% of residential users as long as you get the speeds you pay for.

That all said as long as the signal levels are all good with MER and BER in spec on the line you'll have no issues with HFC. With the same going for FTTP from any provider as long as the light levels are in spec with no noise issues or dirty fibre then you'll have no issues with it.

As a side note, some parts of the Virgin Media O2 network will replace HFC with FTTP I have been hearing around some numbers and dates, so if you really are wishing Virgin Media O2 offered FTTP in your area, it might come to your area after all.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Harvey_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Also another side note if you lot don't know, by the end of this year, 1gig will be available everywhere that VMO2 is

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Gavdaddy
On our wavelength

One issue on speeds on the current fake VM FTTP is the level of asynchronousity imposed which is around 20:1. Is this a hardware constraint and will this change with a move to true FTTP. I see Openreach is still 10:1 on full fibre.

@Gavdaddyno, the issue regarding the upstream speed is due to the DOCSIS specifications and limitations - nothing whatsoever to do with the physical medium for the connection.

Gavdaddy
On our wavelength

So the this can’t be fixed until they upgrade DOCSIS or not even then?

Gavdaddy
On our wavelength

So this can’t be fixed until they upgrade DOCSIS or not even then?

Correct, and you might want to research how DOCSIS works and see why it really isn’t an easy ‘why can’t they just…’ issue!

John

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gavdaddy wrote:

So this can’t be fixed until they upgrade DOCSIS or not even then?

Virgin's current linear broadcast TV service occupies the space required for any further upgrade to the upstream capability. They would either have to:

1) Scrap the current TV system altogether & go all "OnDemand"

2) Move to a modified frequency allocation, which would involve upgrading all the RF kit on the network & in customers homes.

There is talk of the legacy HFC network being retrofitted to all RFoG by 2028, & while this will not resolve the issue, it may make option 2 more viable.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gavdaddy
On our wavelength

I would vote for option 1 as they are penalizing broadband users. 
From what you say if they even consider option 2 we should abandon them in favour of Openreach who do not have this issue at least until 2028?