cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin hub

Mac14
Joining in

Is it ok to switch off my hub overnight to save on electricity, or is it best to leave it on all the time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are lots of views on this, but I will only list the downside;

1) any hub updates will only take place when the hub is turned on, so it could take some time before you can use the internet

2) if you have a TV box other than the original TiVo one then the programme guide will not be updated

3) modern electronic equipment is designed to be left powered on so there is a possibility that the hub’s life will be shortened

4) any IoT devices and cameras will not work nor will Apple Home / Alexa, also alarms or smoke detectors connected to them.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are lots of views on this, but I will only list the downside;

1) any hub updates will only take place when the hub is turned on, so it could take some time before you can use the internet

2) if you have a TV box other than the original TiVo one then the programme guide will not be updated

3) modern electronic equipment is designed to be left powered on so there is a possibility that the hub’s life will be shortened

4) any IoT devices and cameras will not work nor will Apple Home / Alexa, also alarms or smoke detectors connected to them.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for the reply Tudor, it was very helpful. I will leave the hub on from now on.

chrisjames
Up to speed

@Mac14 wrote:

Is it ok to switch off my hub overnight to save on electricity, or is it best to leave it on all the time

Just as a postscript, I used top turn everything off at night, i.e. TV, Hub and chargers connected to landline phones (nmobiles I don't charge overnight) and anything else on stand-by. Some things you have to leave on, like TV recorders and Virgin boxes (but only in standby mode). But I used to have great trouble if I turned the Virgin Hub off. Turning it back on in the morning invariably meant that it did not boot back up leaving me without the internet. After this happened several times, I spoke to an engineer who advised against turning it off at night as it was designed to be left on. He turned out to be right as since I have left it on this fight for internet connections in my area in the mornings became a thing of the past.