Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

setting up an email server on my business account

i am trying to setup an email server on my virgin media business account with ip: 86.x.x.x

and i found that it was blocked by spamhaus PBL (Policy Block List).

On spamhaus webpage, it was suggested to contact ISP asking for : SMTP Authentication

text as attached follow:

SMTP Authentication (SMTP AUTH) is required when sending email via most major ISP mail servers and corporate mail servers. SMTP Authentication is a username+password system which ensures only authorised senders (i.e: the ISP's customers) use the outgoing email server.

please suggest how to do, thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: setting up an email server on my business account

@joeydream  This community forum is set up to support Virginmedia residential broadband customers and cannot deal with VM business accounts.  As I understand it the VM business side has dedicated support links set up and you are probably best persuing that route.

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-in-touch/contact-us/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Need more information.

You're setting up your own email server in your office, at the end of your VMBusiness line?

What software are you using for this? Exchange?

Have you configured your email server to then send all email via smtp.virginmedia.net?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@tehwolf wrote:

Need more information.

You're setting up your own email server in your office, at the end of your VMBusiness line?

What software are you using for this? Exchange?

Have you configured your email server to then send all email via smtp.virginmedia.net?

@tehwolf The Virgin Media broadband connection does not come with a VM email provision.  Where did you get the SMTP.virginmedia.net idea from?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

By chance do you have dynamic ip address on your VM business line, as to run a full email server you need a static wan ip address, the pbl listing is because you have dynamic ip address.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A

/shrug, mine does (though it's residential, not business).

i guess you mean the business service?

possibly - though it's also possible that OP has assumed he can use it, since it's his ISP's smtp server - (granted, i got it wrong, it should have been .com). 

just trying to solicit some more information from OP to understand what they are trying to achieve, and how they have it configured currently. 

0 Kudos