Menu
Peugeotlady68
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

remove unused external telephone landline

Hi

We want to remove an old unused external telephone cable from the main socket to where the overhead line starts.

Are we allowed to do this.

We moved over to Virgin fibre optic some years ago from the main telephone line and everything is provided via underground cables so this is unused and the cable we want to remove just hangs loosely on our external wall so we want to tidy it up.  Cable clips don’t hold it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: remove unused external telephone landline

virgin do not use overhead cables.
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Peugeotlady68 wrote:

Hi

We want to remove an old unused external telephone cable from the main socket to where the overhead line starts.

We moved over to Virgin fibre optic some years ago from the main telephone line and everything is provided via underground cables so this is unused and the cable we want to remove just hangs loosely on our external wall so we want to tidy it up.  Cable clips don’t hold it.

Thanks

You would need to discuss this with Open Reach as they are responsible for overhead telephone cables.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Peugeotlady68
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I know Virgin media do not provide internet via the overhead cable now, but they used to many years ago, and I do not want to remove the overhead cable.  That’s not my question.  I want to remove the cable from the point the overhead cable joins my property down an external wall to the main unused socket.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If VM supplied internet via the phone line then the phone line was Open raches cable. So you need to ask them
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Peugeotlady68 wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Try the route mentioned here in this recent similar-ish topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Phone-line-maintenance-repair-Telegraph-Pole-to-Hous...

It worked for the OP in this case for a bracket that was falling down. Perhaps your cable is actually 'falling down' rather than just 'loose'!