Menu
fortec10
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

old router

Just upgraded to super hub3, can i use my old hub 2 as a repeater via ethernet cable in another part of house?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: old router

@fortec10 wrote:

Just upgraded to super hub3, can i use my old hub 2 as a repeater via ethernet cable in another part of house?

EDIT: VM will NOT require the HUB 2 to be returned (I've been reliably told!).

To answer your original question I don't believe the device has an 'AP' mode.

RedGooner
Super solver
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, go buy an external router and put the SH in modem mode. Its ways better.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@fortec10 wrote:

not sure what you mean by repeater - you can certainly use its wifi and lan ports 

you need to set it up though - to be sure you are working on the SH2 turn off the hub 3 then connect the SH2 to your laptop with a lan cable - do a full reset on the SH2 - then go to 192.168.0.1 - log into it - password on the bottom

turn off DHCP and change its ip address - anything will do but use a high number - 192.168.0.99 say - save that you can set the wifi to whatever you want - different to hub3 or the same - again save all that and turnit off and remove it

connect it to the hub3 with a lan cable and power up hub3 and SH2 - if you have it all right SH2 is now an access point - its wifi will work as will its lan ports - some of the front lights will be flashing as the modem part is expecting to be connected - black tape will cure that 

if thats what you want put SH2 where you wat it connected by lan cable

Tony
fortec10
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks  that is really helpfull advice. What I meant is to use it as an extension to my wifi coverage as i have so far 7 smart devices, 4 echo dots an echo show & 2 fire sticks as well as 2 laptops & 2 tablets + ocassionally 2 mobiles.spread over the house. As it stands evrything is working fine, but occasionally some of my smart devices drop out so thought it would help to create 2 wifi zones one up & one down.

0 Kudos
fortec10
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have done the reset & everything is working great. Superb signal throughout the house now. Thanks very much for very helpful advice.

0 Kudos