Menu
Morley04
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

large VM external Box

Hi, 

I have noticed a Large brown VM external box similar to the picture below installed on one of the houses on our new build estate and from what I can see it's FTTP  but all ofthers including myself have a tiny brown box outside for Coax can anyone clarify please postcode LE67 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: large VM external Box

The bigger omni boxes house the module which does the conversion between fibre and coaxial cable. It must be powered to do this and gets its power supply from a cable inside the house that's plugged into a power socket. In your home you have a coaxial cable coming into your house so no conversion (and therefore no power supply) is needed.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Morley04
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response 🙂 I have checked the VM site and I can't see anything that says I can get Gig1 or FTTP can someone from VM check please?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The vast majority of Leicester was cabled by a company called Diamond Cable in the 1990s. If your house is older than that then you are on the original HFC build. Any new estates built now may be above the capacity of the existing HFC network, so these would be built as RFoG. So it may be that there was capacity to expand the older network to part of the estate. 1 Gig availability will be dependent on the headend equipment, & its likely the whole area, be it old or new build will be upgraded at the same time. 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Morley04 wrote:

Thanks for your response 🙂 I have checked the VM site and I can't see anything that says I can get Gig1 or FTTP can someone from VM check please?

it's not relevant to the speeds to you can, 1Gbps can be provided other both FTTP and the standard FTTC solutions.
you are not missing out on anything, so no need for the FOMO.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos