Menu
warriorsq
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

cutting broadband cable and then repairing myself question

I wonder if someone can give me advice...when I had virgin broadband installed about 20 years ago I asked the eng to drill through wood panelling and then through the wall behind as that's where I wanted cable at the time. Now I want to bring the cable back through the hole, but I don't really want a massive hole in the wood panelling as I'd need make the hole bigger because of the fitting that screws into the hub. If I was to cut the cable, is it difficult to remove the fitting, place on the end of the remaining cable myself and re-attach, so can re-screw it back into the hub?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: cutting broadband cable and then repairing myself question

Anything you do or use that is non-standard is at risk of inducing noise on the network segment, as there is nothing to stop micro-reflections from a poorly fitted or non- standard connector feeding back to the amplifier in the cabinet & causing SNR problems for the whole street.

The callout fee for getting VM to do it correctly is £99. Messing up the local segment (if it’s traced to your handiwork) will cost considerably more.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If all you want is to uncrew the cable from the hub to move the cable around and then screw it back, that's fine. However if you need to change the length of the cable you'll need a tech to do a proper job.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
warriorsq
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to you both, I'll need make the hole in the panelling bigger then unfortunately so can get it back through in one piece 

0 Kudos