cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable entry point

meadow8
Joining in

What do virgin normally use for the cable entry point? Its just on my daughters new build property they have installed adjacent to the front door (200mm) a hideous brown plastic box approx 150mm x 150mm and 100+mm deep for the termination point!

Openreach and Hyperoptics have both installed a neat small thin grey cable entry point!

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin uses copper coaxial cables to distribute its services within the property. The unit contains the powered ONU that converts the incoming fibre to RF technology to drive Virgins DOCSIS Broadband hubs & Cable TV boxes. This is what it looks like inside:

RFoG ONURFoG ONU

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM's wall boxes look like this

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/2019-article-illustrations/virgin_media_external_wall...

The larger one on the right is used for fibre connections and a fibre converter.

These are the standard sizes although I think some are available in a grey/white colour.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The difference is that VM installs the ONT on the outside whereas Openreach installs on the inside. I don't see how the look of the box is an issue.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They actually don't put the ONT outside anymore, the omnibox is rediculous I agree but is normal