Menu
llanero
Up to speed
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

area 21 intermittent broadband

it is getting worse by the day.

I use the VM hub in modem mode.

can VM look at this please? it has been going on for a couple of days now. 

can I also please ask for useful answers to this? there it seems to be a gang who constantly interferes providing wrong/unhelpful/loaded/paid answers just to bloat a thread which usually ends up nowhere.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: area 21 intermittent broadband

What issues?

Some more information would be useful to troubleshoot. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
llanero
Up to speed
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

intermittent connection, thought it was clear from the post's heading?

and yes, unplugged the hub, unplugged the router, plugged the two back in, etc... 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@llanero wrote:

intermittent connection, thought it was clear from the post's heading?

and yes, unplugged the hub, unplugged the router, plugged the two back in, etc... 

Well no it’s not clear.

Define intermittent? What devices? Wired or wireless? How long does it disconnect for? Etc. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
llanero
Up to speed
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

all devices in my LAN are affected, wired and wireless alike. Broadband goes off for 1 or 2 mins every 5 to 10. isn't that clear enough? do I need to post a video showing the problem?

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you need to set up a BQM - once set up, find the Live Graph and click "Create Sharing Link" - post that back here. this will show whether or not it's the wan side of the connection dropping.. 

Next, browse to your hub on  http://192.168.100.1 - don't log in, click Router Status - copy/paste the tables from the Upstream, Downstream and Network Log tabs back to this thread - you'll need multiple posts for this, the info wont all fit into a single one..

0 Kudos
llanero
Up to speed
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi, the graph is showing horrendous packet loss rates. 

I'm not too sure to show it up in here as it is linked to my public IP address though. As there hasn't been any changes on the LAN in the last 7 months if not earlier, I could confidently suspect there might be an issue either with the VM hub itself (can't check it at the moment) or the WAN. 

I am though fairly confident that other people in Area 21 should experience an issue of similar nature. Perhaps worth to know whether VM engineers have been putting their fingers on the local exchange so we can get a sense of the likely root cause.

0 Kudos
llanero
Up to speed
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/18d989631159e1a99e15efbe0fef3ee20347ece7-14-05-2021

link to my monitor

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@llanero wrote:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/18d989631159e1a99e15efbe0fef3ee20347ece7-14-05-2021

link to my monitor

yup, looks terrible.

worth letting it gather a full 24h worth of data - if it's an over utilisation issue we should see it drop off overnight and look "normal". if it's a different problem, the issue could persist overnight.. the "what next" depends on what the graph shows.. 

0 Kudos
llanero
Up to speed
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

could you please expand on what "over utilisation" means? 

0 Kudos