Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wrong IP address / Google

Hi All,

Bit of a strange one this. I had a security alert due to an unknown app trying to access my google account earlier. I work in security so, for now, I have changed my password while I look into it.

When checking my google logins, I see that both my laptop (running linux) and mobile (Android) both connected via Chrome. The source IP for both was different to the IP I have had allocated from Virgin Media (dynamic but hasn't changed in quite some time). Definitely my devices as logged out and in to be sure and also location is correct city. Not connected to my VPN on either device. I see others have found similar in this thread but it got closed for some reason https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/22330553?hl=en

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong IP address / Google

Hi Chatlow.

We will investigate this as much as we can from our side.  It may be Monday before I can get you a response from our team, factoring when this has come to my attention sorry.  I can see from other similar threads to the one you included in your post, that this has been an issue for a few people worldwide.  But i will try to help you gain a resolution if it's within my power to do.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lee  - Appreciate it. Be good to know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@chatlow wrote:

When checking my google logins, I see that both my laptop (running linux) and mobile (Android) both connected via Chrome. The source IP for both was different to the IP I have had allocated from Virgin Media (dynamic but hasn't changed in quite some time). Definitely my devices as logged out and in to be sure and also location is correct city. Not connected to my VPN on either device. I see others have found similar in this thread but it got closed for some reason https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/22330553?hl=en

Only time I have seen a mismatch between my public  IP Address and that reported by another service was when Virus Safe decided to proxy traffic on to its destination unannounced; you can read about that issue here Re: ShieldsUp scanning wrong ip address. If appropriate consider turning Virus Safe off  to see if it is the cause.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks, checked account and web safe not enabled so no proxying. checked with both my google account and my partners account - both show source IP as different to what our home IP is. Only appears to be google reporting this incorrectly. 

Confirmed IP looks okay through what is my IP as well as connecting to my google cloud instance and checking netstat for the connected IP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do you have HomePlug - Network Via Mains ?

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have a pair but unplugged them few weeks ago. Why's that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@chatlow wrote:

I have a pair but unplugged them few weeks ago. Why's that?

Just that they can connect to next doors connection some times.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos