cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired cable up wall

sylviaann
Joining in

Just wandering why you put all the cables up the front of the house then over the roof and down the back as it looks terrible 

8 REPLIES 8

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

This should not happen. Is it a recent installation? Can you post some photos as well.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Yes got it put in at the weekend 

92AEBAF7-171B-4A41-BE2A-A84F32961E29.jpeg

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Perhaps Roger_Gooner would like to explain why he thinks that this should not have happened.  Any cables across or around the house will look odd to some, but will always be less obtrusive on the skyline than a satellite dish.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

There were several cases many years ago of cabling being run over roofs, but this is prone to be problematic as the cable will rub against the roof and be susceptible to either water and/or noise ingress. So, the practice has been abandoned and I'm surprised to see a recent case. If it's a terrace property the cable is, of course, installed internally through holes drilled through internal walls (and ceilings if the installation is above the ground floor). In some cases a cable can be installed through a loft but this will almost certainly require the homeowner to do the necessary drilling and fitting a rope to enable the cable to be pulled through as VM installers are mostly not trained and insured for height working.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sylviaann wrote:

Yes got it put in at the weekend 

92AEBAF7-171B-4A41-BE2A-A84F32961E29.jpeg

The answer is simple. VM installers are not heights trained and only carry one story access ladders, hence the cable not being clipped above this height. I have no doubt the cable was just thrown over the roof, as the only alternative would have been internal wiring which some customers don’t want.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yorkist
On our wavelength

When NTL installed cable in my area (2000) and my property site (block of flats) they refused to extend to the rear (where my spare room was located and planned to be a Man Den).  So the install cable was put into the living room which at that time would have needed internal coax to be routed, some over doorways to the spare room.  However, in to-days home media explosion a living room termination would be what is looked for with WiFi provision to cater for use in other rooms?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Yorkist wrote:

When NTL installed cable in my area (2000) and my property site (block of flats) they refused to extend to the rear (where my spare room was located and planned to be a Man Den).  So the install cable was put into the living room which at that time would have needed internal coax to be routed, some over doorways to the spare room.  However, in to-days home media explosion a living room termination would be what is looked for with WiFi provision to cater for use in other rooms?

Except that Virgin Media are currently still using broadcast receivers for multi-room, so a coaxial cable is still a requirement to carry the live channels to every box. A move away from Cable standard technology is in the pipeline, but it will take until 2028 before it rolls out to all VM customers.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've cabled up a wall and Into the loft and back down the other side because the homeowner didn't want it going through the house.  It shouldn't be thrown over a roof as over time the cable rubs and gets damaged