Menu
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 1 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Windows10 version1909 November update

Windows10 version1909 November update now available

a relatively quick update from the 1903 version to the latest version 1909 build 18363.476

apparently it's a switch on for the dormant features which were already installed in the1903 version

in the previous updates.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows10 version1909 November update

This didn't show up as an optional update when the stuff I mentioned on the 1903 thread (the cumulative and MSRT updates were the only ones visible) and it was 1-30 AM.😬

You can live dangerously and take the plunge (like in the video below), otherwise Mickeysoft won't know if it's borking stuff (which it does)!!

However, Brian comes in with this: (a more cautionary approach)

I don't use the software mentioned in the 1st video, so I may live dangerously later (my graphics drivers are up-to-date; might be a good idea to do this first before installing 1909).  I'll post more details here if I do.

*Took out the blank lines.  

link to 1903 thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Windows-vers1903-the-May-Update/m-p/4102250#M41883 

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 54
Flag for a moderator

OK - it's done.  Everything went like clockwork; the only difference being that there were two restarts during the update process (one on 30% as usual then one at 77%).  If you're an Edge user, it fixes bugs and makes it work properly!  There was a problem with scrolling webpages where Edge crashes (reminiscent of Internet Explorer 4 for those who remember that from the late 1990's).  Stuff done with plugins has now been integrated into it (as per the tips).

The machine booted up as usual with no problems and Edge fires itself up dragging you here: https://microsoftedgetips.microsoft.com/en-gb/0?source=updatefirstrunrs6.  There isn't any link to a bugfix page to tell you what it fixes, but it will take you to a tips page so you can be "more productive".

TL;DR: There's just a bit more bloat and the whole thing only took 12 minutes. Best of all there doesn't seem to be any destruction of data... yet.

Bit of an anti-climax really...

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I found another video on youtube if it does bork.

According to the blurbs it can stop on 42%

For those who want more information there's this: https://community.windows.com/en-us/conversations/windows-10-november-1909-update-now-available/0786... where a user suggests that if you're gamer it can bork your STEAM, Discord etc.

After a bit of faffing about there's this too: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/What-s-new-for-IT-pros-in-Windows-10-vers... 

A few thoughts:

If you're a serious gamer, DON'T do it!  However, as mentioned above if you do (as per my experience), make sure you have the latest drivers possible for your hardware installed first.   Since it's now November, and as Mickeysoft are referring to it as the November Update, you'd think they'd call it 1911...

I can't find it on here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx 

Good afternoon and good luck!

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 54
Flag for a moderator

In addition to the above video there's this from Kilobit:

In typical Mickeysoft fashion, more bugs that have no solution to them have been introduced to bork your system.  However, you do have to bork your system to fix it! I hope all this nonsense is of at least some help.😷😬  Still no problems on my AMD machine so far.

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Some problems have occurred recently.   The other day I got a blue screen of death, but didn't think much of it; the computer rebooted and worked as normal.  However, my scanner was behaving strangely just now, (it seemed to be trying to calibrate itself, but was taking too long).  A reboot "fixed" it, and out of curiosity I had a look in the Event Viewer (a favourite tool of scammers to fool users into buying stuff they don't need) and found several Kernel-Power problems (similar to those mentioned in previous posts) along with several software update problems and a few other odd errors; (stuff constantly checking that it needs updating on boot; also mentioned in previous posts).

I don't use time.windows.com to synchronise system time (I use the NPL servers instead; something I've done since XP) as it went down for quite a long time and this may have caused other problems.  I suspect the 1909 update has caused these problems, but as yet there is no data loss. There has been another flurry of unscheduled updates over the last couple of days and I suspect that these may find themselves in a future cumulative update for those who haven't taken the plunge.  As I've mentioned before, it looks like we're all beta testers, even at the cumulative update stage.

Oh, yes, before I forget, Edge now seems to crash a bit more often and not display webpages properly, then it struggles to reload them (and it's a 32bit app).

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Legend
Message 7 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I have up on Windows months ago and just use my Mac. The Edge (beta) browser work very well on the the Mac and I’ve never had a crash. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 54
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

As I've mentioned before, it looks like we're all beta testers, even at the cumulative update stage.

Oh yes. A couple of months ago I made the mistake of thinking 4 days between an update being released and installing it, would be enough for any problems to be picked up by Doctor Google.

Alas not - several hours spent fixing a boot failure, only to find a day or so later, reports of boot failures started to appear.

Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 54
Flag for a moderator

The "unscheduled updates" didn't appear in WU, but were downloaded and installed directly from Microsoft servers.  I followed what was going on using Task Manager.  This hasn't trashed my installation like the 1803 update did which borked everything and took me two weeks to fix. There was quite a lot of activity (Windows Modules Installer, Registry, Windows Error Reporting etc). 

There was no information in Event Viewer regarding the BSOD (apart from a brief critical error notification), but there were several mentions of "Windows has recovered from a low power state" as per the 1803 update.  Even now, there is still no to little information available regarding the 1909 update and what it does under the hood.  I haven't had any more problems with the scanner, but I do have a broken USB port (a bit of plastic snapped), so this could be causing other problems.

Looks like we're all YOYO's on this one.😬

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Bit of a quick follow up:

Nothing strange seems to be happening now, so whatever happened on Saturday suggests that Mickeysoft is prepared if stuff relating to the Power-Kernel borks stuff.  However, it doesn't inspire confidence in their testing methods as mentioned above, they've had 2 months of faffing about with it before unleashing it on an adventurous public (i.e. me).  Maybe it's just peculiar to AMD machines.  I've downloaded the latest (optional) graphics drivers and they seem to work well (i.e. I get a picture).  Edge is getting better, but some images flicker quite badly.  On Windows machines it runs on boot, then as a suspended task, so it can meet "the fastest browser" (it preloads webpages in the background) nonsense.  If you close Chrome (64 bit) it disappears from the task manager completely, but with Edge being 32bit Chromium (in disguise, so they don't have bother from scratch *but* the Googles no longer support it), I'm wondering if this is why it doesn't work too well.

Windows 10 is a 64bit OS, 64bit coded programs are doable, so it puzzles me that Mickeysoft constantly patch up a 32bit browser which only one person on the whole planet actually uses (that would be me, 'cause I'm lazy). Looks like they're partying like it's 1997.😉

Task Manager with Edge not active:

tm.jpg

--
No system is 100% secure