Menu
Buffer6
Hero
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Windows 2004 Evaluation copy for Insiders fast ring

I decided to have a look at the new Windows 10 2004 release, which is not being Officially released

until the end of the month. but is now available to insiders on the fast ring

It took the longest download and install time for an update that I can remember for this year.

I was watching a movie on NetFlix so I didn't pay attention as to exactly how long it took.

But checking it occasionally to see if it was completed, it seemed to take forever

So now on one of my PC's I have vers1909 and on the other vers2004.  I need more time to determine what the differences are, nothing stands out so far. LoL

win2004.jpg

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows 2004 Evaluation copy for Insiders fast ring

That's interesting, be useful to know what the differences are, and how nicely they play with existing software...

Keep us informed  Buffer6, so we know what to expect, and whether it's worth the hassle updating. (sometimes it's not...the updates cause more aggro than they are worth!!)

Buffer6
Hero
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@HughJarsse wrote:

That's interesting, be useful to know what the differences are, and how nicely they play with existing software...

Keep us informed  Buffer6, so we know what to expect, and whether it's worth the hassle updating. (sometimes it's not...the updates cause more aggro than they are worth!!)

Well, unfortunately not much software on the PC that I installed it on, it was noticeable however on the first run of software that it was taking longer to load and run, but on the second time the software was loaded, it runs as normal, so maybe Microsoft's scanning and checking before allowing software to run for the first time was the reason.

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's interesting,

Maybe the first time it ran, it possibly 'updated' some parts of the initial registry, and then sent these to Microsoft for verification? I noticed something similar when I reloaded Windows on my sons computer. Fresh install, then, update came in. This took a while to install and the first run was slower than subsequent ones..The system is registered to his microsoft account, so wonder if these major updates need to be 'validated' or maybe the account gets updated??

Or, possibly as you are a 'beta' type tester, certain data gets sent back to MS?? Hmmmm.......

Buffer6
Hero
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@HughJarsse wrote:

That's interesting,

Maybe the first time it ran, it possibly 'updated' some parts of the initial registry, and then sent these to Microsoft for verification? I noticed something similar when I reloaded Windows on my sons computer. Fresh install, then, update came in. This took a while to install and the first run was slower than subsequent ones..The system is registered to his microsoft account, so wonder if these major updates need to be 'validated' or maybe the account gets updated??

Or, possibly as you are a 'beta' type tester, certain data gets sent back to MS?? Hmmmm.......

Yes, I just joined the insiders again for testing. I was on the insider's program last year, before the previous Official release as well.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Buffer6 wrote:

...nothing stands out so far. LoL

It's Windows.  It's best to have no (or at least low) expectations.😁

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
Buffer6
Hero
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It jumps up again tonight to the Windows 10 2004 preview edition build19628.1... 1hr 17 mins from start to up and running. I think a poor connection to Microsoft made it a long process with long breaks between sections downloading. hangs on install and configure.

Just installed so have yet to look at it.

0 Kudos