Menu
Buffer6
Hero
Message 1 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Windows 10 feature update version 2004 May Update

The Feature update to Windows 10 which takes it up to .version 2004 is now available to download and install

A lengthy update this time followed by more net framework updates, best to wait until some time

you're not too busy to upgrade, it took an hour and 20 minutes to complete on a fast PC

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows 10 feature update version 2004 May Update

Hello

Yeah done mine this AM and took about 30 mins.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Don't want to be alarmist, but....

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 66
Flag for a moderator

This hasn't shown up in WU on my machine yet.😐

--
No system is 100% secure

π
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Just like previous releases of windows 10 it is a phased update and take a few weeks to appear but can be forced at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 click on "Upgrade Now" as well as MS when checking to see if your device is using a certain file as there is a known issue when some games will have no mouse control enabled.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 66
Flag for a moderator

My usual course of action is to download and install these updates regardless, even though I've had problems in the past with the 1803 update (this trashed the installation and I had to set up another user profile to fix it).  I had no problems with the 1904 or 1909 updates and am quite happy to wait this time.  I find Microsoft's update strategy strange to say the least.  On one hand Home users get some updates before Pro users and on the other, it's the other way round.

--
No system is 100% secure

π
Buffer6
Hero
Message 7 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Cumulative update tonight for Windows 10 2004 x64 (KB4557957) brings it now up to Build 19041.329

Fairly quick update on my fast PC this time it took only 12minutes

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Installed this v2004 'upgrade' on three computers yesterday. Approx. 1hr 20min per device. Mainly an uneventful process with no immediately obvious improvements in appearance or performance at the end of it. However, the latest release seems intent on installing, what it perceives are, the latest/best drivers for hardware come what may and despite any user intervention to the contrary.

My elderly HP inkjet printer only works on Win 10 with one specific driver which is contemporary with the release date of the printer. Set this up initially and all worked OK. Then today the PC decided to update the driver to a newer (none working) version. During a reboot to correct this, and roll back to the original, got a BSOD. Haven't had one of those for years.

In the past, it used to be possible to opt out of driver updates via 'Device installation settings' for the PC in 'Devices and printers'. The update reactivates this feature and, having switched it off again, it no longer seems to block driver updates. Also, the update process seems to wipe out all existing drivers from the original installation and replace them with the latest MS versions.

Reinstalling drivers through device manager no longer seems to allow an older driver to be installed in preference to the newer one which the OS chooses. Even the 'Have disk' option no longer seems to allow an older driver to be installed. Computer says 'no' when trying to do this.

Have now found and activated a Group Policy setting to block driver updates from Windows updates. Hopefully this will block any further driver changes.

If anyone has any other methods for blocking automatic driver updates, I'd be interested to know. For my purposes it is just another annoying and unnecessary 'feature' of W10 which seems to be getting more aggressive in its implementation!

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Hi goslow, thanks for posting.

Just to clarify, you're not reporting any issues with your virgin media services; and are seeking help from our fantastic community members?

Regards

Lee_R

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Yes that's correct Lee_R. I have no VM problems here just now, thanks.

Above is just a general comment and tech. chat of experiences on this topic of installing W10 v2004.