Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Win 10 and Win7

I have downloaded Win 10 to my Win 7 Dell Laptop using a WIFI connection without difficulty, even though the router is upstairs and the lap top was downstairs. Now I find that I cannot  get on line even with the laptop next to the router. A series of  messages from MS trying to connect me with a series of check routines, none of which help. However using a Ethernet cable connection and I have immediate full internet access. A puzzle as to why I could download and install Win 10 using a WIFI connection but now am unable to access Win 10 except by Ethernet

Any suggestions please for an 81 year old

ericg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Win 10 and Win7

On the bottom right section of your screen your should see a 'Network' Symbol:

As above when you left click once on the symbol you should see a 'WiFi' icon. Does it show the word 'On'? If not left click on it once and you should see a list of local wireless connections:

You need to find your wireless connection, left click on it once, click connect, and you may be asked to enter the password.

If the above doesn't work follow the below:

Could you right click on your start menu, in the bottom left hand corner, and select 'Device Manager'.

Once a new window opens you will see a list of all the devices built into your laptop.

There is a section called 'Network Adapters'. Do any of the devices show a little symbol next to them, as if there is a problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Possible that the Win 10 upgrade has deleted/removed your wi-fi cards drivers, or..Win 10 does not support the wi-fi card fitted to your laptop. This is usually the problem, if it was working before on Win 7, and not on Win 10 (you might find other drivers need updating as well, these may well show up when you open the device  manager, as they will also have the yellow triangle next to them. Think I had to reinstall the touch pad drivers as well??) Not sure what model you have, but this may help at least.

You can check by opening the control panel, and then the 'system' icon. then use the 'device manager' icon to open the device manager. If there is a problem with the wi-fi card, you should have a yellow triangle by the 'network adapters' icon. 

If so, you may well need to download and install the correct driver for the card.  This happened to me , with a Dell laptop as well a while ago, and that's how I sorted it. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to you Hugh. This is past the limit of my knowledge and experience. In 18 years I have never had to update a driver. I can go with your instructions about opening Control Panel and  Device Manager and see what I can find. I am rather busy still using Win 7 Desktop for all of my Docs Pics and email at present but will report back asap

ericg21

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

the simpler solution is to buy a wifi on a stick - that is a wifi adapter which you plug into any spare usb port and use INSTEAD of the failing one.

costs <£10, will be newer,better,faster than what you have now.

there is no software to install, the good ones are plug and play for windows 10. 

buy a "best buy"  from amazon and return it if it does not work

i have had older Dell laptops work very badly with win 10 after being fine with win 7. so I have used the external USB wifi solution on those

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I did what cybmole suggests for an old Samsung laptop I rarely use (£7 - see link) - it connected first time on win10 and works fine on 5GHz.

Just check that the Dell doesnt run its SmartByte software as that can limit your speeds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Band-600Mbps-802-11ac-2-4-5GHz-PC-WiFi-USB-Adapter-Wireless-Net-LAN-...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cybmole and J Brennand, apologies for the long delay, but better late than never. As you both suggested I bought a Wifi adaptor from Amazon but no luck, still no internet Wifi connection. As before Ethernet connection perfect. My only thought is that my Router is a Virgin Media supplied one marked as Netgear and was supplied many years ago as a newer version of the original one. Speaking in a state of ignorance, could this be a possible source of my troubles?

Help wanted

ericg21

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any other wireless devices working successfully with your old VM hub at the moment or is the faulty laptop the only thing you want to connect wirelessly?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Eric, What is the model number of the Dell Laptop ? I'll then take a look at Dell to see if their are known issues.

What part of the country are you - I'm Oxfordshire.

J

0 Kudos