Menu
Community elder
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

WiFi 6 is upon us, well almost.

So the new WiFi standard with go-faster stripes WiFi 6 (802.11ax) is being rolled out in earnest this year and will supposedly make your current WiFi 5 (802.11ac) look like a knackered donkey in the Grand National.

All we need is for the manufacturers to get into gear and start rolling out some decent compatible hardware.  In the meantime I came across this hardware list (mostly routers) to wet the appetite.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/List_of_802.11ax_Hardware

I'm contemplating an Asus RT-AX88U router at some point but I'll probably hold back for a while until the ax standard goes through any growing pains and gets properly established.

So, how about you ... does WiFi 6 float your boat and are you on board yet?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi 6 is upon us, well almost.

... and in case someone points out that I have missed asking the most obvious question ... here it is, although I know I'll not get an answer   Smiley Frustrated

So Virgin Media, how far advanced are you in commissioning a new Hub 4 that will be capable of delivering the new WiFi 6 standard or will this be a re-run of the IPv6 fiasco with VM management sticking their corporate fingers in their ears and singing 'La La La' in the hope it will all go away?

Electron
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

So everyone of your devices is going to be replaced to make use of WiFi 6! I think not. It’s going to take a number of years before it’s viable for everyone and possibly other technologies will be better.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I moved over to the Asus RT-AX88U last year not for the 802.11ax but for the better Ram and moving away from a dual-core processor to a 1.8 GHz quad-core processor as I run a lot of open source scripts on my router.

Highly recommended router.

Welcome to the most friendliest community.

Have you got technical problem post it and we will help you fix it.
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

So everyone of your devices is going to be replaced to make use of WiFi 6! I think not. It’s going to take a number of years before it’s viable for everyone and possibly other technologies will be better.

I agree Tudor, but VM need to be on their toes with providing a capable hub or BT or one of the other ISPs will steal a march on them and steal their customers too.  The potential extra speed and the ax technology to cope with many more devices connected at once will be a good selling point and it's only human nature to want the latest and best even if they don't really need it.

Electron
0 Kudos
Hero
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

But who are these other ISPs? In my area which is served from the Northolt exchange, there is only Openreach's copper coming into my house which the LLU operators, namely Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone, have to use. G.fast is no good to me as I'm too far from the cabinet (which doesn't even have a G.fast pod attached to it anyway), so I know that VDSL2 is the best I'd ever get if I left VM.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Well I have just pre-ordered my new phone. A Samsung S10, which is spec'd with 802.11ax capability. I currently run with 3 routers as wifi access points.

Asus RT65U in lounge

VM SH2AC in garden room

Netgear R6400 in loft

As the Garage is a deadspot, I am proposing to move the Asus RT65U there and install an 802.11ax device for the main house. But which one, still too early to access the available options.

0 Kudos
Just joined
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ar well it's all a waste of time if the providers Virgin Media are not rolling out new equipment like the super Modem WiFi router. Just wondering when this will happen. I've already put a new wifi 6 x card in my Laptop, just waiting now. 

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The latest hub 4 does not support WiFi 6 and I think it's likely that it will be years until WiFi 6 is available.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

But for those that want it today....

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store/wifi-routers/wifi-6-routers-ax/

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/wi-fi-6-routers-the-best-wi-fi-6-routers-you-can-buy-in-2019

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos