Menu
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Why it's a good idea to read the specs - but then again.

I recently bought a gaming laptop that just met the requirements for VR - or so I thought.

A few days ago I bought a Rift-S as it had dropped in price by £100.  When I got it home I came across a problem.  Rather than using HDMI it uses a DisplayPort connection.  So I went on line looking for a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter and purchased one.

While I was waiting for it to arrive I did some further searching and then found a Support article on the Oculus Rift site saying that they knew of no HDMI->DisplayPort adapter that would work with the Rift-S

The lesson to take from that is always double check the specs and don't make any assumptions before buying a VR headset.

However - when I did get this particular adapter.  I decided that there was nothing lost in giving it a try before I took the Rift-S back. So I plugged in the adapter.  Plugged the Rift-S into the adapter and the USB port and was pleasantly surprised to see the light change from orange to white.  Sticking the headset on, the Rift Software fired up and there I was in virtual space.  So far I've fired up Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, European Truck Simulator 2 and Dirt Rally 1 & 2 in VR.  There's only one thing to say.  Beautiful

So on one hand, I should have probably done my homework before buying the Rift-S, but on the other - had I done my homework, I wouldn't have bought it and be enjoying the use of it without forking out a grand for a better PC.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why it's a good idea to read the specs - but then again.

Suck It and See does seem to be the best solution. You win some, you lose some.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why it's a good idea to read the specs - but then again.

Yup do your research like the time I went to hook up my new 4K TV to PC to play DVD and blue Ray at 60Hz.

In My HTPC I had a GT 610 a under powered card but was fine for DVD and blue Ray at 60Hz 1080P, had a GTX670 that just fitted in the case but for HDMI it can only do 4K at 30Hz but the DisplayPort could do 4K at 60Hz so I got a adapter DisplayPort to HDMI but DVD and blue Ray use HDCP and that adapter brakes that so in the end got a new card.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos