Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why is new customers offered deals MUCH cheaper

Im paying £32 a month for 50mb internet. You offer new customers 108mb for just £28 per month. 

Im leaving virgin soon as this covid19 horror is better and im able to talk to someone on the phone. 

Any one have any recommendations for alternative broadband only internet service providers that's cheaper? Im disabled and just took a massive hit on monthly income and 32 quid is to expensive for 50mb only. Specially when I see adverts for 108mb for 28quid. It's insulting. You should look after the ones you got not just continued signing new customers no matter the cost. Glad I'm not contracted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is new customers offered deals MUCH cheaper

ALL ISPs offer low prices to get you hooked and put them up when your first contract expires. That’s the way it works. If you want to swap your ISP every year, that’s fine, but remember it’s does cause hassle especially with email addresses.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Don't see how it would effect emails. Do people actually use ISP providers email accounts? I've only ever used Google accounts and pretty sure I don't even have a @virgin.com email
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@marty3 wrote:
Don't see how it would effect emails. Do people actually use ISP providers email accounts? I've only ever used Google accounts and pretty sure I don't even have a @virgin.com email

You will have a VM email, as it forms part of your account login. The Government wants competition in the market, so we now have this "must switch provider" culture that drives pricing in this & other sectors. Its all smoke & mirrors of course. Nobody actually gains anything from it, & while the attitude at the top (including the regulators) does not change, it will continue to be so.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

'Don't see how it would effect emails'

when people leave virgin/their isp, they lose their email address. it affects plenty because many do not use gmail etc.

with bt they can keep their email address but have to then pay for it each month.

yes, plenty still use their isp email address. look at the threads and posts on here relating to it. other forums the same too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

HI marty3, sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the package price, we would always aim to give the best possible deal. Can you text us on 07533 051 809 so that this can be looked into further. ^Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yea I get that, but it's not a "culture" reason im having to switch, it's litrally because I simply can't afford it no more as I can't no longer work for a living. I was getting 100mb and the mid tv package with the TiVo (the first TiVo boxes which took such a long time to load anything I never used it for years). With a steady pay check £58 a month for that I was cool with. But when forced to save money I called virgin a few months ago and they were useless. Never offered me any discount after explaining my situation and they could clearly see I've been loyal customer for years. I had to give up the tv package and cut the internet speed in half to get it to £32.

So you can see how angry I feel when I see adverts offering 108mb for £28 pm. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yea maybe. Im looking elsewhere first tho. Feel betrayed for being a loyal customer. Most business award loyal customers not trap them
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi marty3, please text us or call us on 150/0345 454 1111 options 1 4 5 to see what can be done. ^Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@marty3 wrote:
Yea maybe. Im looking elsewhere first tho. Feel betrayed for being a loyal customer. Most business award loyal customers not trap them

Did you not receive the free upgrade to 108mbps that was announced for all loyal customers in January and has since been rolled out ?

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-starts-2020-with-a-br...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.