cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first computer?

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I recently reminisced about my first computer, an Amiga 600 in the mid-90s.

I'm sure you've all had some weird and wonderful systems over the years, but what was the first? What was good (or not so good) about it?

Personally I loved playing Settlers on the Amiga - I was only 8-9, after all - but I didn't enjoy the multiple disks or time needed to install it!

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

124 REPLIES 124

MTBLeague
Joining in

My oldest "Programmable" device in the house.

A372-1

But have had many "Computers" over the years ranging from my ZX81-> Specrum -> Amigas PC's from XT Clones up to much more modern offerings.

Client62
Legend

First computer used as a student was a VAX 11/780 those were the days when a decent mini computer inhaled 3 phase power and vented copious amounts of heat.  Digital Equipment was used in every job to the mid 1990s when poof their heyday was over.

Molegrips
Settling in

ZX81 16K ram pack and a cassette recorder for recording/saving what you typed in (early version of hard drive, lol! ) spent a day typing in a basic tennis game when it crashed due to over-heating, lost all of my typing because I trusted it too much to have saved it I guess, silly me! lol

ashakantasharma
Joining in

Yes, I got a basic pc from school in back in 2010. It marked the beginning of massive interest in computer hardware and software. This has completely changed my life afterwards.  

Asha Kanta Sharma

December1949
On our wavelength

A ZX81 in 1981. Then went really up market with a ZX Spectrum two years later.

sku11meister
Fibre optic

Hi, My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 16k, then I got the 128k where i learnt to program C Basic. think the book was called 1001 games for the zx spectrum! spent hours programming to get a game out of it lol.

then I got a commodore 64 with the printer (dot matrix printer) and the 5 1/4 floppy drive and cassette deck

from there eventually I got an Amiga 500 , and eventually I bought an atari because it had the MIDI ports built in and I could use Cubase to write music. After that I went PC and built a studio. 

loved the spectrum as a kid and the C64, spent many hours playing them and programming them 🙂

Techsponge
Joining in

My first Computer was the Sinclair ZX81,then sinclair spectrum,then commodore 64. My friends had atari st

jaberwok
On our wavelength

The first one I owned (in 1983) was a second-hand Atari 400XL with an aftermarket "proper" keyboard and RAM expanded to 32Kb (which was supposed to be impossible). Luckily, I also acquired a matching floppy disc drive - which was originally dearer than the computer. I don't remember the name of the first one I used but it was supposedly portable; it was the size of a large suitcase and had about a 3 inch screen built in to one edge. Later, I wanted an AtariST at work but ended up with an early 80286 pc to run AutoCAD. Both my current machines (pc) are home-built but, now that I'm retired, I cannot justfy spending money to upgrade them any further.

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

Mine was a Atari games console then Commodore Vic 20 had 20k of memory and ran games from cassettes in the 80s, then upgraded to commodore 64c also a acorn electron, after that upgraded to Amiga 600.

Along side that I purchased a 2nd hand Amiga 500 and Atari STFM, to then selling the Amiga 500 and Amiga 600 for an Amiga 1200, sold the Atari ST FM and got the Amiga cd32 bit this lacked games 

Eventually and this was back in the 90s Yorkshire cable was around I sold the Amigas and bought my first PC which was a Compaq Presario 75 which had a 75mhz CPU, along the way I purchased a second hand NES, SNES, and GameCube.

Then purchased the Playstation 1, Xbox, Xbox 360, sega dreamcast, Playstation 2, Sony PSP, Ds lite, Nintendo Wii, sold pc to by a newer pc, Playstation 3, Xbox one s, playstation 4, purchased gaming laptop Asus fx505, finally buying the Xbox series X

I'm left with playstation 1, 3, sega Dreamcast, xbox and wii in loft, xbox one s in my bedroom, son has playstation 3 and 4 and his own xbox one s and xbox series s in his along with my Sony psp.

Only thing I use now is Xbox series X and Asus fx505 gaming laptop, I bet I've forgotten something

Never owned sega master system, mega drive, spectrum or amstrad cpc464, Amiga 4000.

SusiTrooper
Tuning in

A Sinclair MK14, then a ZX81 with the dodgy 64k RAM pack, and a myriad of others.

Notable others were a Commodore PET, and at one point I even had a half-share in a DEC PDP-8/e!

For some strange reason, I bought a Sperry/Unisys 7000 series (aka "Power 6") to stop it from being scrapped - just because I felt sorry for it. I'd been reponsible for keeping one running back in the 1980's. Fault-finding one was a horror all of itself - many thousands of tiny white and fragile wires connected the various internal modules. If a module needed to be moved for repair/cleaning, often multiples of these wires would become disconnected. We had *NO* wiring diagrams, and as far as I can recall, there were no trace markers or labelling - just tiny white wires. Waves of them! The... horror....

Oh, and the cooling fans..? Imagine if you will, rows and rows of mains-powered (120mm, I think) heavy-weight fans. BUT, as this was an American-designed machine where the mains voltage was ~117VAC, instead of fitting 240VAC fans, they kept the 117V fans, but wired them so there would be two fans in series connected to the 240V supply. This was great until one of the fans in the series'd grouping would go short-circuit: there would first be clouds of smoke, and more often than not, a loud bang, and no running computer.

So, of course I bought one. I then needed a truck and a crane to get it into my old garage. I also realised my garage didn't have the power to run it, I donated it to a local college for their computer science course. Hmmm. I'm pretty certain it needed a three-phase supply.

Why can't I remember? Nearly-fatal RTA in the mid '90's which resulted in what has been described as "brain inconsistencies." I've got holes in my memory.😉😄

I'm rambling. I'll stop now.