cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first computer?

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I recently reminisced about my first computer, an Amiga 600 in the mid-90s.

I'm sure you've all had some weird and wonderful systems over the years, but what was the first? What was good (or not so good) about it?

Personally I loved playing Settlers on the Amiga - I was only 8-9, after all - but I didn't enjoy the multiple disks or time needed to install it!

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

124 REPLIES 124

jjamknight
On our wavelength

Oric 🙂 - just checked the process speed a massive 1Mhz pmsl

jjamknight_0-1654323133256.jpeg

mart1969
Superfast

Hmm I think it was ABOUT 1995 and it was a  386 with 4mb of ram. I thought I would use it for design purposes but it ended up being used for Wolfenstein 3d, Doom and Blood every day. 

elizab
On our wavelength

@mart1969 wrote:

Hmm I think it was ABOUT 1995 and it was a  386 with 4mb of ram. I thought I would use it for design purposes but it ended up being used for Wolfenstein 3d, Doom and Blood every day. 

That's what I had too pmsl. It's crazy to think we have watches and other micro gadgets with insanely better tech.

holmestm
On our wavelength

Could afford a computer when I wanted one in the late 70s, so my Dad used to take me into Manchester, pretend to be interested in a Commodore PET and leave me to 'evaluate' it while he went shopping. Guy in the shop had no idea what I was doing. Eventually the school bought one but had no idea what to do with it - I remember being plucked out of class to write some software to record the results at the upcoming school sports day which I hacked together in a day. Looking back I think they needed to be seen to be making use of the investment or something like that.

In the early 80s I saved up and managed to buy a programmable calculator, the Casio FX602p which is still seen as a ground breaking device even now, there is a market for old devices and an emulator on the Apple App Store. Not a computer as such but had an alphanumeric display, non volatile memory and predated any kind of laptop, PDA etc. Still have it.

The first actual PC I bought was a 486DX2-66 in the early 90s, with a plug-in 32bit EISA card. I bought it to play Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Civilisation however in 1992 I was given a stack of 3.5" floppies by a fellow student at Birkbeck college - that night I had a running version of Slackware Linux, my games machine became a full fledged, multi-user Unix server. The skills that I then learned I still use now, as that operating system and the world of Open Source it enabled has since taken over the world and is the basis of modern cloud computing. I had to phone an order through to the US in order to get the updated OS on CD airmailed over to me.

I was also an early subscriber to Demon internet, a pioneer of dial-up. After a few years years I bought my first cable modem from Cambridge Cable, and my first ever IT job working from home became possible - in 1999. Cambridge Cable then became NTL, and of course are now Virgin Media.

lesleyb-
On our wavelength

Acorn Atom, home built because the bf wanted to practice his soldering skills 🤔

The first 'electronic' device I owned was a Sinclair Scientific calculator.  Bought as a combined birthday/christmas present in 1974 for the princely sum of about £40 as a kit, which I had to solder together myself.  It was about £10 more fully assembled.

Terrible buttons, reverse polish notation (no 'enter' key), angles input in Radians, log functions in base e... I could go on about its faults, but I loved it.  Eventually one of the battery terminals failed and it went to the back of a drawer.  I've still got it and I can't bring myself to throw it away.  I guess its a museum piece.  Every now and then when nostalgia strikes I cobble it together to check it still works (it does!).

Stokie_Potter
Joining in

ZX Sinclair spectrum was my first, had the keyboard and tape deck built in version. Also had smaller version of the keyboard with rubber keys. Amiga a500 .. Oh the days of sensible soccer & Championship manager.

Vic20 C64 before Amiga600.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My first computer was a dell dimension which i cant remember the model number of which ran windows xp.

Goodleta
Joining in

I remember those old games well. Have just recently downloaded and played the classic settlers now available on P.C.  also the original age of empires.  Great how things have changed.