cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first computer?

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I recently reminisced about my first computer, an Amiga 600 in the mid-90s.

I'm sure you've all had some weird and wonderful systems over the years, but what was the first? What was good (or not so good) about it?

Personally I loved playing Settlers on the Amiga - I was only 8-9, after all - but I didn't enjoy the multiple disks or time needed to install it!

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

124 REPLIES 124

That reminds me of loading games from cassettes, keep adjusting the read head the tape passed over. The number of times I used to clean those things until I wore them out, then I had to order and replace them.

Luckily, I was into computers and electronics even back then. lol

NickHarlow
Joining in

ZX80  with wobbly ram pack .. Dragon 32 and then a very rare 64 based on 6510 ( i remember)  then to Spectrum, QL and Atari ST onwards to TT and Falcon but always used Windows PC's (IBM compats as they were then, Win 3 anyone? using GEM?) as well.

Now currently AMD rig with Dual 32 inch monitors...  still play around with retro emulation.

Thank you for posting the "Input" magazine. Some time ago I was looking through the Spectrum manual for the animated "dancing man" program as I thought I had seen it there first. I even asked online in various forums for it as I wanted to create a gif of it and use it in a business project. (Long story)

I collected all of the Input magazines and gave them away because after a short while I found that I had developed a better understanding of the manual.

Fora long time it niggled me as to where I had seen the code for that particular animation. So, thank you again. 😊

One of these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_XT

Fun times.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

Us old farts: Typed games into computers with 1K of memory and hacked them.

Kids today: What is this sorcery you speak of?

Back in the days when hacking meant something different to what it does today too.

We had the following book

ravenstar68_0-1644130004385.jpeg

Most of the programs worked perfectly well o the Acorn Electron, although because it didn't have the BBC's Mode 7 (Teletext mode)  Soe of the programs that used this needed hacking slightly.

The copy we had had some fairly major issues too, There was a set of 3 programs, Evolution 1, 2 and 3 which charted different stages in the evelopment of life - with Evolution 3 being man and nuclea war - BUT although the burb for Evolution 2 was different someone had just inserted the code for Evolution 1 again.

In addition there was a program called Radiopower which saw you managing a radio station in Hampshire allong with an AscII representation of the map, I remember the names of some of the presenters too - Zoot Zeigler and Aaton Aardvaark.  This however had a logic loop in it which weant something like this.

Loop start
You have X aount of money, how many radio cars do you want to buy?
Enter amount of radi cars to purchase.
Money = Mooney - (Radiocars x 1000)
If Money < 0 Money = Money +(Radiocars x 1000)  Print "You don't have enough money to buy that amount of radiocars":  Goto Loop start
Loop end

Those who know BBC basic will know I'm paraphrasing here 🙂

The problem with the above was that it wouln not let you buy less than 1 radio car per round.  So if you didn't have enough money for one car you were stuck in an infinite loop.  I ended up hacking the program by creating an entry condition that checked whether there was enough money in the kitty in the frst place.

Good times.

Tim

Edit - I believe I found a PDF with a later edition of the book, so I think they corrected the issue with Evoltuion 2 and possibly Radiopower later on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ah, the days of ‘hacking’. Nearly all my ‘hacking’ involved IBM 360 machine code using superzap or even the switches on a 360 mainframe.

A colleague and I ended up writing a full disassembler for IBM 360/370 machine code. It would take a load module and produce assembler code for all the csects. This disassembled source could then be re-assembled and produced a load module that would be exactly the same as the original. Of course the load module may not have contained machine code just from assembler code, but from a compiler like PL1, PLS, Fortran, COBOL etc.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

In my early days in Data Processing (as IT was known then) I worked on a range of mainframes including IBM 360, ICL 1900 running GEORGE 2 and GEORGE 3, ICL 2900 running VME/B and Univac 1100. One thing I remember was the ability to interrupt a program running on GEORGE 2, make a change to a value in core and continue. Can't imagine being allowed to do this today.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Sinclair ZX81 in 1982. I remember carrying it home, thinking about whether I could take over the world with it.
In the finish I just wrote some fairly nifty games

It was called 486

TheUberMedic
Tuning in

Ooof. I think my first computer had Windows XP on it and it had an AMD Athlon X2 6400+ I think? Tried to get Minecraft running on it after getting a GTX 660 off my friend lol.