cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first computer?

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I recently reminisced about my first computer, an Amiga 600 in the mid-90s.

I'm sure you've all had some weird and wonderful systems over the years, but what was the first? What was good (or not so good) about it?

Personally I loved playing Settlers on the Amiga - I was only 8-9, after all - but I didn't enjoy the multiple disks or time needed to install it!

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

122 REPLIES 122

Anonymous
Not applicable

ZX Spectrum

Learn basic on that thing in the 90s

When i moved to Dos/and QBasic 🙂

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Started with a ZX81, moved to the Spectrum then the Atari ST

I did have the original pong console and the atari console 

81x8riT9J9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 when I watched ready player one I guessed adventure was going to to be the game 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It was around August 1994 that I bought my first PC. It's wasn't a new technology for me as I'd been using PCs since 1983 at work to develop Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheets, to create reports using word processors such as WordPerfect and I'd built an Oracle application running on MS-DOS.

The PC was made by Gateway who had a big factory in Dublin. All comunication was by a freephone number. I cannot remember all the details but it was quite advanced with Windows 3.11, a 15" monitor and a CD drive, probably cost around £1,500 which adjusted for inflation is the most I've ever paid for a PC. I promptly opened it to install a fax modem and signed up with Prestel to get internet access. It was all quite different to what we have today, and one thing stuck in my mind when someone in my office said that I was a sad and lonely person for having an email address. Still, it was kind of cool being able to do things like being able to Telnet into a server in San Francisco.

I used the PC for a travel business I'd just started and for leisure purposes such as contributing to Usenet newsgroups and email lists. Browsers had barely come onto the market and I used Netscape for many years until I finally decamped to Microsoft's IE.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The first one I owned was a BBC Acorn.  

bbc acorn.jpg

If I remember correctly it needed a cassette tape player connected to upload programs.

Not long after I started work (1983) they began to start using Apple Macintosh bricks. 

Macintosh_SE.jpg

It wasn't many years after that I started to become involved with helping out in the office with computer issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The first video game we had was a Tandy TV scoreboard

Vintage-Tandy-TV-Scoreboard-Electronic-Game-Console

But the first computer was an Acorn Electron

Acorngamescover

I spent ages typing in programs from a book of BBC BASIC programs.  Although the edition I had actually had a few issues.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My first computer I bought was a BBC micro, had already built a home brew 6502 machine, although I had already worked with computers for years. Started with an IBM 1401 and worked with and coded on many IBM machines. Try translating my tag line.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

First a ZX 81

Then a Spectrum version

Atari 520ST

Atari 1040STe

Amiga 1200 which now looks very grubby, but still played on occasionally  🤭

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.

jamesofmerton
Super solver

apple II. long time ago that. mid 70's. more money than sense. then i came to my senses. everything from a bbc to commodore then amiga then windows 3.1 to what i have now asus running windows 10 pro. 

computers are much better now. programming is much easier compared to what i started with. 

Faffed about on a friend's ZX81 Circa 1979 and an Atari VCS before that (found bugs and Easter eggs), then an Electron (as above) with 20 games, along with an Acorn tape unit in 1983.  Upgraded it with a +1 (printer and joystick) interface in 1987 along with a 5 1/4 inch Cumana Disk drive and a Pegasus 400 disk interface.  Spent ages transferring stuff to disk after finding an unlocking program in A + B computing.  Also faffed about with C64's and Amstrad CPC464's which also belonged to friends.  Continued using the Electron 'til 1998 and the Star LC10 packed up in 2006 after 19 years of use.

0 REM NOSTALGIA TRIP
   10P%=&900
   20[
   30LDA#31:STA&70
   40INC&70
   50LDA&70
   60JSR&FFEE:JSR&FFEE:JSR&FFEE:JSR&FFEE:CMP#126:BNE&904
   70LDA#127:STA&71
   80LDA&71:DEC&71
   90JSR&FFEE:JSR&FFEE:JSR&FFEE:JSR&FFEE:CMP#32:BNE &91C
  100RTS
  110]
  120 MODE 2:REPEAT:COLOURRND:CALL&900:UNTIL FALSE

The above code should work on the real thing (a BBC or Electron) or an emulator.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π