Menu
davie4761
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media availability

Hi ..... when I have done a post code check to check on availability of services it shows services available for the houses but not the flats. The houses are extremely close . Can anyone tell me if there are plans to give us in the flats the same services ? if this needs to go on a different board let me know . 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media availability

flats are generally problematic, and unless the block has been internally cabled by the owners/factors/builders anything above 1 floor would be outwith virgins "reach".
0 Kudos
davie4761
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The flats were built by the same builders as the houses .... virgins message doesn’t say we won’t get it just that it’s unava at the moment . Seems strange as the houses are across the road 

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

the houses are irrelevant really, as they don't require any special cabling to be done at the point of building.
0 Kudos
Forasizo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

From what I know, it is likely the flats will only get Virgin Media if they reach an agreement with the builders- it is not impossible if there are houses nearby but running Virgin Media across multiple floors is difficult without direct co-operation, it isn't something Virgin could just do.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I think we can be a bit more precise. Unless the block has been built with the internal ducting and wiring already installed and place provided for VM's equipment (I think on the ground floor) then there is little prospect of VM's services being provided, irrespective of whether houses nearby can have it. VM will not install cabling from its street systems running on the outside of blocks of flats because freeholders and planning authorities are opposed to this. And VM staff or their contractors will not work at heights anymore.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM is quite keen to cable apartment blocks as the unit cost is less than a house, and there are about 750,000 flats which could easily be done. However, there are many landlords who are hard to contact for negotiations and VM doesn't have the resources to track them down, so the work is never done.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML wrote:
I think we can be a bit more precise. Unless the block has been built with the internal ducting and wiring already installed and place provided for VM's equipment (I think on the ground floor) then there is little prospect of VM's services being provided, irrespective of whether houses nearby can have it. VM will not install cabling from its street systems running on the outside of blocks of flats because freeholders and planning authorities are opposed to this. And VM staff or their contractors will not work at heights anymore.

Virgin Media don't always need to run their own cables throughout a property.

As I mentioned here last year, there have been a couple of areas where Virgin Media connect into the IRS installation that already exist in some flats

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Faceplate-Update-Install/m-p/3883801#M113...

How far this has progressed to a standard option I don't currently know.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos