Menu
Kari2
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin green box

Hi, I am looking to have a green Virgin box relocated or removed from outside my house if possible. I understand this will come at a cost but we are needing off street parking and this box will be in the way of access.

Any suggestions or signposts gratefully received.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin green box

Certainly. It will cost you at lest £10,000 plus compensation to all the VM customers attached to that box for loss of service for weeks while VM move it, always supposing they are willing to. Got that kind of cash for your extra parking space. Think it worth it, plus all your neighbours making your life a misery while they are without broadband and TV and phone service for weeks and weeks, never mind all the street digging up that would be involved as ducts along the street and to houses are re-aligned just to suit you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

An example of a past thread discussing the same is at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Green-cabinet-blocking-front-driveway/m-p/4256... and covers many of the points that @HowardML has alluded to.

I'm sure there are other threads covering similar points

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Kari2
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your ascerbic, unhelpfule reply.

I was asking about feasibility form a professional fro Virgin Media actually. Of course nobody wishes to upset, disturb ttheir neighbours, but the box could feasibly moved a short distance along to accommodate.

You have no idea why people suddenly need off street parking, or the disability a family might have - you should think before you send such a response

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Kari2 wrote:

but the box could feasibly moved a short distance along to accommodate.

Others are a tad more familiar with the specifics here, but that statement is far from a certainty.

Depending what cabinet this is, it's entirely possible that 20-30 homes could be directly fed from it, all those homes will potentially need new coax cable runs putting them off-service in the interim.

Any incoming fibre feeds to this cabinet might also need re-running. I'm not joking when I say the cost cost easily run into 5-figures. The points I've hinted at here, have been covered in more detail in one specific thread that (typically) I can remember vividly but can't currently find.

Kari2
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media do not have to move the box and with the work and disruption 99% of the time they will simply tell you no.

Moving a box is not as simple as most people think.

They will just say no as they can't just kill phone lines, internet, and TV to everyone connect to or through that box for weeks to move it for you.
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Kari2 wrote:

Hi, I am looking to have a green Virgin box relocated or removed from outside my house if possible. I understand this will come at a cost but we are needing off street parking and this box will be in the way of access.

Any suggestions or signposts gratefully received.

Similar questions have been asked before. I believe a fee of about £250 is required for a survey and it looks like this customer (in a similar topic)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Re-Green-Junction-box-removal-reque...

went as far as paying for one to be done (final outcome unknown).

0 Kudos