cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin cable connection in outhouse , how to hardwire to RING alarm

paulvandenbent
Joining in

We have an outhouse separated by 5 metres from the main house with also an entirely separate electricity connection. Our virgin router is in the main house with very poor reception in the outhouse. We have a separate virgin cable connection to the outhouse as we used to have a separate tv setup there in the past. We want to install a new alarm system in the outhouse that runs on Bluetooth connection. How can we boost reception sufficiently for this to work or possibly connect directly to the currently unused internet cable . I understand Virgin will not allow a second router ( without significant extra monthly charge). HELP 🧐

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot use the VM coax at all. One possible solution:

1. run an Ethernet cable from your VM hub to the outhouse
  2. put an network switch on this cable in the outhouse
  3. install a wireless access point for WiFi
  4. Install something like an Apple HomePod or Apple TV, these will work as a Bluetooth relay.

For point 4) other options may be available, but I only have Apple kit. Other may be able to help here.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot use the VM coax at all. One possible solution:

1. run an Ethernet cable from your VM hub to the outhouse
  2. put an network switch on this cable in the outhouse
  3. install a wireless access point for WiFi
  4. Install something like an Apple HomePod or Apple TV, these will work as a Bluetooth relay.

For point 4) other options may be available, but I only have Apple kit. Other may be able to help here.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

You may find this useful:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Using-a-Router-to-extend-wifi-network/td-p/324033... 

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

As you seem to already have an Ethernet cable to the outhouse you can connect it to the Ring base station. If you need WiFi as well then connect the cable to a gigabit network switch and the base station and a wireless access point (for WiFi) to the switch.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks Roger,
All a bit out of my league re technical competence ( retired doctor…). Will show your and the previous answers to my electrician I think and hope he can figure it out ,

Your initial post said "currently unused internet cable" which I took to mean an Ethernet cable to the outhouse. If such a cable doesn't exist then it will take some effort to properly install one (but it will be worthwhile).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection