Menu
Graybacon123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to TP-Link Deco X20 - a review

So after receiving some great info on my upgrade last week, I thought I'd try to assist others with a layman's review.

A little background - have a Virgin 100Mb connection and was running off the hub 2. 3 storey house with 4 kids and approx 15 connected devices.

Anyway... after research and excellent advice on here, I completely blew my budget and went for the TP-Link Deco X20.

First impressions - looks good with 3 short cylinders with some sloped plastic styling on top.

Installation was a doddle. After placing hub in modem only mode, I plugged one node into the modem port and searched for it on the TP-Link app. It was found within seconds and after the obvious connection settings (network name and password), I was connected.

Other 2 nodes placed round the house and in less than a minute both had the green 'connected' light. Top floor went from max 35Mb dl with 30ms ping to 110Mb and 12ms.

Some nice app features too. Playing with the QoS to optimise traffic although  it sure how effective this is yet. Also like the device management - great for prioritising devices when heavy traffic. Best is the ability to 'blacklist' devices - such as when I want the kids off their iPads etc.

Only downside is there is only one additional port per device. Meant I had to make a quick network switch purchase (TP-Link 8 port gigabit switch).

So to summarise, I spent more than needed for the same benefit but this system is future proof for a good few years hopefully. It works well round the house with no drop offs yet. Just a few extra ports would be nice.

8/10.

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to TP-Link Deco X20 - a review

It was correct to put the hub hub into modem mode as you don't want two DHCP servers running.

Good choice of network switch as well.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Graybacon123 wrote:

Only downside is there is only one additional port per device. Meant I had to make a quick network switch purchase (TP-Link 8 port gigabit switch).

I'm a novice when it comes to this kind of thing - what are you describing here and why is it a downside? 

Brilliant post and explanation of what you did. I may have to go this way and you have been very helpful. Just a point of clarification above.

This is exactly what this Forum for. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graybacon123
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @HowardML

So my old virgin hub had four ports on the back to connect net ready devices such as a TV, Sky box etc. When put in modem mode all but one is deactivated (maybe a tech in here can explain why). 

My new router only had two ports per node. The one near all my wired devices already has the modem in one port leaving only one spare.

A network switch is an internet version of a trailing cable for multiple electrical devices. You plug one end into the 2nd port on the new router and all your other  devices into the 7 ports on the switch.

Sorry for the simple language - I'm no texpert myself.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Graybacon123 wrote:

Thanks @HowardML

So my old virgin hub had four ports on the back to connect net ready devices such as a TV, Sky box etc. When put in modem mode all but one is deactivated (maybe a tech in here can explain why). 

Is because the designers think that all the other devices should run from the router not the modem. very similar is design to an ADSL router

My new router only had two ports per node. The one near all my wired devices already has the modem in one port leaving only one spare.

A network switch is an internet version of a trailing cable for multiple electrical devices. You plug one end into the 2nd port on the new router and all your other  devices into the 7 ports on the switch.

I now understand what you are doing. Just wasn't sure of the relationship between the node, the switch and the wired devices. You've explained it perfectly. That wouldn't be  problem for me. It's getting better wifi coverage that I am worried about.

Sorry for the simple language - I'm no texpert myself.

Thank you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos