Menu
MickyLanch
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Two separate ISP fibre in one house

Hi,

I currently have Virgin 100 fibre which works ok withing the house. However, my son, who's bedroom is only 5 meters from the WiFi hub, cant connect to the WiFi. Ive tried everything. Had Virgin out to resolve the problem, boosters, extenders, everything and still he struggles for a connection. He currently has a Nighthawk extender in his room picking up the Virgin hub but it still struggles. Virgin just don't seem to care to be honest.

My question is, can I still have my Virgin Hub in the front room which is used by the family and have a separate ISP fibre in his bedroom?

I'm not very tech savy so explain to me like I'm an idiot. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two separate ISP fibre in one house

Hi there,

I will Pm you to discuss more.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@MickyLanch wrote:

My question is, can I still have my Virgin Hub in the front room which is used by the family and have a separate ISP fibre in his bedroom

yes, but not the solution you should go for.
why not simply run an ethernet cable from the hub to that room - problem solved.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

MickyLanch
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@spgray - Thanks for your reply. I have thought of this but running a CAT cable from router to bedroom is not very practical. The wife hates wires and all have to be hidden. It would mean removing plaster from walls to run up through the ceiling and then back down again. Too much hassle, I'd rather just pay for a separate ISP in his room. 

Is the second ISP possible without any interference from the virgin hub?

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

having a second ISP would still require cables to be run, and if it's virgin then probably more destructive than just running an ethernet cable.

other easier solution is powerline adaptors.

yes technically you can have a second virgin connection, but is paying 2 subs really a preferrably than running a bit of cable?

MickyLanch
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The cables will be in his room though as would another ISP. Thanks for your help though. I will try a second ISP in his room for a year to see if it goes ok.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the point i was making was the cables still need to get to his room regardless of whether it's a second ISP or not.

your choice though, but it a strange (and expensive) solution to the problem.

0 Kudos