Menu
LiamC123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tv and router cables

Hello, my router is upstairs in a bedroom and my TV box is downstairs. My son is going to be moving in to the bedroom so would like to move the router. Am i able to connect the router using the tv cable by using some sort of splitter? (one end going to the tv box and the other going to the router)  

Currently outside in the brown box there is a splitter, one cable goes upstairs to my router and the other through the wall into my living room to the tv box.

0 Kudos
Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tv and router cables

Yes

To get VM to come and do it would be chargeable.

However all you need is a splitter and a cable. You have the cable, it currently connects the HUB to the wall point.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Coax-Splitter-F-Connector-Female-Digital-TV-Satellite-Cable-Virgin-...

Or similair for a spliiter.

You SHOULD be letting VM do it, as they will cap off the now redundant wall point and balance power levels. Under current cisrcumstances might be a bit of a wait. Make sure you do it right, cap off the dead wallpoint and you SHOULD be fine.

Just remember if you damage VM's cabliing you are liable for costs to sort it out, so I wouldnt mess with teh outside box and splitter....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

LiamC123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply kippies!!

Do you know if it could affect the internet speeds if i have unbalanced levels or by connecting it alongside the tv cable??

Also when you say 'cap it off' do you mean just making sure no one can get to it or is there an actual cap i should screw on to the redundant wall point?

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, unbalanced power levels can affect your speed. But considering you are only taking the same kit and plugging it in a different way, it is likely to be grand. If you want, post power levels after the swap and we can check them for you.

As for the cap its a thing- plug

F-Type/Screw Male Terminator Plug Cap

into your online marketplace of choice you should find it easily.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Why don't you run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the downstairs room and connect a network switch to it so that you can plug in whatever you need, e.g. TV, TV box, wireless access point, laptop, games controller, etc.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
LiamC123
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you again, ive got them parts on order and ill let you know how i get on !!

0 Kudos
LiamC123
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i want the router out of the bedroom as my son is moving in to that room and i dont want him messing with it.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

LiamC123, there would be a £99.00 call out fee. ^Chris. 

0 Kudos