Menu
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Toshiba tv will not connect to internet

I have   a fairly new Toshiba smart tv.  It will not connect to the internet so I am unable to access streaming services like BBC i player, Prime Video etc.  When I check the network it says it is connected but then disconnects.  I have a new hub and boosters and everywhere else in the house is fine (moslty).  We have a lot of devices and pay for the fastest broadband but this tv will not work properly,  I have reset to factory settings and all that did was delete the loaded apps - I cant reinstall them without access to the internet,

My son has suggested that virgin may not recognise the device or are blocking it somehow believing it is illegal access.  Is this likely and if so, how do I ovr come it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Toshiba tv will not connect to internet

Your son isn't on the right track, virgin don't have the ability to do this. Perhaps try using a ethernet cable into your TV if it cannot connect via wifi

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Redheadange wrote:

My son has suggested that virgin may not recognise the device or are blocking it somehow believing it is illegal access.  Is this likely and if so, how do I ovr come it?

not at all likely, and in fact not at all possible

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for clarifying that.  It kind of defeats the object of having a wireless connection,  I would have to purchase a really long cable have it trailing round the house.  I have also been advised to invest in some mesh technology, but that is expensive and I feel that I am already paying enough for my broadband 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

virgin (or any ISP) cannot guarantee WIFI simply because of too many variables, some that are often unique your own location.

are you able to at least test the TV via ethernet? to confirm that it works properly using that method?
if it does, and you have no WIFI issues on any other devices then maybe speak to Toshiba tech support (which will probably be Hisense as they bought Toshiba TV business some time ago).

Toshiba TVs are generally regarded to be in the "budget" market so tech support from them might be limited.

It's also a general consenus that you shouldn't rely on "smart" functions on any TV brand (be it budget or not) as there is no guarantee that support will continue for them. Best method is always a connected box/device. However i would always suggest people avoid the Amazon Firestick range which IMO are generally junk.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Redheadange,

I have a Toshiba smart TV. Hard wired I get speeds of  62 Mbps, but using the wireless the 5G connection my speed is 98Mbps.

Have you tried connecting using the WPS option? 

In the network settings section of your TV, select network type Wireless device.

Then use the instructions from my Toshiba manual (yours should be very similair or the same)

Highlight Press WPS on your wifi router option and press OK.

Go to your modem/router device and press the WPS button on it to make the connection. You will see a connection confirmation on your TV once the devices have paired. Select OK to proceed. No further configuration is required. 

Highlight Internet Speed Test and press the OK button to check your internet connection speed. Highlight Advanced Settings and press the OK button to open the advanced setting menu. Use directional and numeric buttons to set. Highlight Save and press the OK button to save settings when complete.

You might also want to look at splitting the hub SSID's 2.4GHz and 5GHz and renaming them to help connecting all your equipment to the strongest signal.

5GHz is faster but the signal isn't as strong as 2.4GHz. There's an excellent post by MikeRobbo advising how to do this Splitting SSID's 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - I am going to try that and if it fixes the issue, I will get Virgin to move the box so I can minimise the trailing wires issue,  If not, I will be on to the tech guys at Toshiba and the store I purchased ti from 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have tried that - it connects then disconnects almost immediately.  I have reset the tv to factory and lost the apps, which I cannot restore without access to the internet  If, once connected, I select something like Prime or Netflix from my remote, I get the message that it is not connected to the internet!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

virgin will charge £99 to come out and move the hub.
where is the TV in relation to the hub? and you said you already have boosters in place? are none of those near the TV?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

the hub is in the hall and the tv in question in the lounge - around 10m away..  I have one booster upstairs in my bedroom - the other is in the hall.  Would it work better in the lounge?

I am out of contract so if Virgin want to charge me, they will lose a customer 

0 Kudos