cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of changing to VM because of price..

nicey1958
Joining in

Currently with BT on FTTP 970MB Has been 100% for 2 years now. Do VM put fibre into your premises from the chamber or do they use the existing fibre that Openreach put into the house..? Asking because the duct doesn't go direct to the property and is round very sharp bends.( civil works and a dig in a neighbours garden was needed to feed the fibre through)

cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@nicey1958 wrote:
using a netg xr500 router dumaos ( combined with an ex8000 ) gives a lot more versatility balancing load (esp because my son works from home 4 days a week and also games a lot.) oh well looks like ill stay BT
cheers.

With FTTC the latency is around 20ms, whereas FTTP is around half so that's another thing to consider for gaming.

Sounds like sticking with what you have is a good idea, for now.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

@nicey1958 wrote:

Currently with BT on FTTP 970MB Has been 100% for 2 years now. Do VM put fibre into your premises from the chamber or do they use the existing fibre that Openreach put into the house..? Asking because the duct doesn't go direct to the property and is round very sharp bends.( civil works and a dig in a neighbours garden was needed to feed the fibre through)

cheers.

How much is the BT FTTP contract?

To be bluntly honest if you are happy with the service I wouldn't bother moving to VM.

This comes from a happy customer!

Oh, and no, VM will not use the same fibre, however they would potentially use the same ducting, if there is room.

Keep in mind that although VM are moving to full FTTP over the next several years it could potentially be FTTC then copper (coax) to the home from the cabinet.

well i read that virgin 1Gig plus all the extras (sim etc)  sky... is 85 quid for 18 month contract.  with BT im paying 73 quid without sky which is substantially more. What I like about the BT fttp tho there has been zero problems/ no downtime and no fluctuations in speed. just the total pprice of everything is a lot higher.

cheers about the info though.. The duct use will be an issue tho. plenty room but there no draw rope in it. ( I used to install cables underground so you can't even rod it because of the angles they initially laid the pipes...(cowboy wimpey's)

TY

@nicey1958 wrote:

well i read that virgin 1Gig plus all the extras (sim etc)  sky... is 85 quid for 18 month contract.  with BT im paying 73 quid without sky which is substantially more. What I like about the BT fttp tho there has been zero problems/ no downtime and no fluctuations in speed. just the total pprice of everything is a lot higher.

cheers about the info though.. The duct use will be an issue tho. plenty room but there no draw rope in it. ( I used to install cables underground so you can't even rod it because of the angles they initially laid the pipes...(cowboy wimpey's)

TY

Although I've been happy with my service there are several threads on this forum related to issues around expected speed vs actual speed provided, and inconsistency with the connection.

It also depends on whether you will rely on the HUB (Router) provided by VM or you have your own kit, so you will end up using modem mode on the HUB and your own third party router.

using a netg xr500 router dumaos ( combined with an ex8000 ) gives a lot more versatility balancing load (esp because my son works from home 4 days a week and also games a lot.) oh well looks like ill stay BT
cheers.

@nicey1958 wrote:
cheers.

With FTTC the latency is around 20ms, whereas FTTP is around half so that's another thing to consider for gaming.

Sounds like sticking with what you have is a good idea, for now.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

For the vast majority of installations, VM use their own ducts and infrastructure, so chances are the existing ducting under your garden won't be a problem.  VM normally do very shallow cable lays, so any expectations you have about a properly buried duct may be optimistic, and rather than ducting it's likely to be 30mm ribbed conduit.  Of course, they may use their patented ductless installation technique.

In terms of service quality, it's very variable.  It's good for most people, most of the time.  My own connection was mostly very good for over 20 years, but since the beginning of this year reliability has been appalling (and with VM's poor customer service and even worse complaints team there's not much can be done to drive improvement).  VM's infrastructure uses the ageing DOCSIS technology, and whilst it's a marvel of ingenuity, it's not the way you'd build a network now, and is prone to a range of difficult to trace problems, which if they manifest are most harmful to video-conference types of application (eg Teams) and gaming. 

In your shoes I'd stick with BT and negotiate a discount if price is a problem, but your other option is to order VM, see how quickly and how well it is installed and works, and cancel in the 14 day cooling off period if it is less than perfect?  Bear in mind that in eighteen months the VM price will double as your discount expires, and you're back to square one. 

lol at the ductless tech. there's been no new digs/ducts put in and the only ducts there are openreach Last I knew is that openreach don't share the ducts with other companies and upto last month virgin wasn't available..
cheers.

That isn't true. VM has, like a number of other companies, a PIA licence to install sub-duct and/or cable in Openreach's ducts or to attach and maintain equipment on Openreach's poles. On occasions VM will use its licence to get cable into customers' premises (in its FTTP areas only).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection