Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Text relay service doesnt work

I am helping a friend who has had a severe stroke and cannot speak.

He cant access his on line account because he has forgotten his password and the registered email is an old one he cant use.

Virgin told us to use the text relay service to get in touch, but when you dial the number from a mobile you just get a high pitched squeal.

Please can you help.  We need

1) to get urgent access to his account

2) to understand how to use this text relay service for the future

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Text relay service doesnt work

Hi juliagrant64, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear there's some trouble using the Text Relay Service, can you please confirm what number you're dialling?

And refer to all our information regarding the service here to ensure it's right 🙂

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi I am calling the number which Virgin gave me

18001 0800 052 2164

Try it from your mobile - you just get a high pitch tone

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi juliagrant64,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a warm welcome to you, I am sorry you have been unable to use the text relay number given, to use this you would need to have a text phone, you can use our text service by texting your query to 07533 051 809 ^ between 7am and 11pm Monday to Friday, 8am and 8pm Saturday to Sunday.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paul

Can you confirm that this text service will be able to sort account access issues. I spent ages on live chat yesterday but after a lot of wasted time they said they couldnt help. 

As I have said my friend is unable to speak so he cannot call you. So we need a text based solution to get access to his account

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

As you are not the account holder it would need to be him that does it, you could set him up with an account here then we would be able to help him.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@juliagrant64 wrote:

Hi I am calling the number which Virgin gave me

18001 0800 052 2164

Try it from your mobile - you just get a high pitch tone

You need a text relay terminal device to use that number. For mobile devices there is an app

https://www.relayuk.bt.com/

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paul

Can you clarify your answer as I am  not clear on 2 points

When you say it would need to be him that does it - do you mean he sends the text, that is OK as he is able to type. If you mean call then obviously he cant as he cant speak.

When you say an account here - do you mean online account? He already has one but we cant access it because it is registered to an out of date email and he has forgotten the password.

Please can you help. As I have said we need a text based solution for him to express his wishes for this account. I am finding it hard to understand why this is a problem as there must be hundreds of people with hearing or speech impairment who have similar challenges.

Thanks

Julia

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hey Julia,

So it would need to be him composing and sending the text via the text service, as changing any account password is an account holder only action.

We'd be able to help via the community forums but again, it would need to be your friend communicating with us directly via his own personal community account (which I assume he hasn't got yet, hense you speaking on his behalf).

Can I also ask if you went down the 'forgot my password' avenue as of yet? And if so what was the outcome of that?

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi juliagrant64,

If you feel you're getting nowhere with VM, then I suggest you contact the Equality Advisory Support Service for help.  I've had problems dealing with a crap internet company (Sky - avoid like the plague, and a plague upon them) on behalf of disabled relatives, so I can empathise with the problem.  I acknowledge that the Virgin Media staff are trying to help, but they are constrained by Virgin Media's corporate failure to recognise the exceptional and specific needs of some customers.  Get on to EASS, if you can do so without too much additional work complain to the Communications Consumer Panel, and also complain to Ofcom that your friend has not been treated fairly and equally.  Hopefully the VM staff can flag this up the chain, because the fines for breaching the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and the Equality Act 2010 could put a well deserved dent in their profits.

0 Kudos