Menu
ronhud
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Telephony api

A recent article in New Scientist described a strategy to intercept voice calls and filter out robocalls.  I have a Virgin 3 hub and my landline phone is in the Purple category.  Can I use a telephony api on my pc  to  access incoming calls on my phone - if so any pointers to tutorials etc would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telephony api

The Hub 3 does all of the home phone processing and creates a home phone service from the socket on the back of the Hub.

So in order to get your computer to process anything, you'd need to have hardware like an analogue modem in it to intercept the calls from the Hub and filter the calls.

You can get DECT handsets that already do filtering though, so you'd be trying to recreate something someone has already designed.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
ronhud
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telephony api

Ben thanks for the info.  I have a BT handset which I believe is DECT - the filtering though as far as I can see is against a list of numbers and the current crop of scam calls use onetime fictional numbers.   The New Scientist report is based on the following link:-

https://iisp.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/pandit_cybersecurity_talk.pdf

The system described is for an Android app - today I had the same Amazon charges scam call (which has been a nuisance for many months) 4 times.  So because I am retired and have the time to play around with these things I wondered whether the principle could be enacted on my pc with regard to my landline.    From what you say it looks like I can treat the line coming out of the hub just as I would if there was no hub and attach an old analogue  modem 'inline'.

Thanks again

Ron

0 Kudos