Menu
CattyJB
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Switching after issues with Openreach

Hi all, my flatmates and I are looking to join virgin media after lots of issues with openreach and NowTV broadband. Basically, openreach have been telling us that cable to our house is damaged and that we cannot get WiFi until it’s fixed (which was over a month ago). Am I correct in thinking that virgin has their own network and so the issues with openreach cable will not be an issue?
Any answers appreciated 🙂 

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Switching after issues with Openreach

Hi there,

Happy to help you with this.

Yes our network is completely unique to the other providers. Theres is all done through ADSL and speeds are capped.

I'll pop you a private message to check your address for serviceability and see what we can do to help you.

Thanks.

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First thing to ask is are you in a Virgin Media area. Have you put your postcode through the service checker?

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That's correct.  When it is installed, working properly and you don't need to speak to anyone, VM can be very good.

On the other hand things you may want to consider:

• Unexpected delays on new installs are not uncommon (and communication at this stage is often poor). 
  • VM can have their own issues with maintaining connections, and sometimes struggle to fix these.   
  • And you'll have a new 18 month minimum term contract, with severe early termination charges.

Read up on customer reviews at Trustpilot and ISPReview so that you know what you're letting yourself in for.  Or consider going with an ISP that's good at getting the best out of Openreach, like AAISP, uno, IDNet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
CattyJB
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hiya, have used the postcode checker and it says I can get good service in my area 🙂

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at this page - contracts are 12 months and you must stay for 12 months or pay a hefty early termination fee or 30 days rolling - that is if you are students:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/students

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cathy

Installation waits may not be long if you're eligible for a quickstart kit. I can check this for you and i'll send you an update via private message.

And if you are a student then yes you can take out a 12month deal rather than an 18month too.

If you are looking for good speeds and reliability then Virgin will be perfect for what you're looking for.

Thanks again

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Christy_D wrote:

If you are looking for good speeds and reliability then Virgin will be perfect for what you're looking for.

and that will remain the official party line!
reality, of course, may verge off that line slightly.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:

snip....

reality, of course, may verge off that line slightly.

Perpendicularly in some cases!

0 Kudos