cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Broadband Provider

Sololobo
Superstar

Ofcom says new rules will make it faster and easier to switch broadband provider.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2021/easier-than-ever-to-switch

Under the ‘One Touch Switch’ process, you will only need to contact your new home broadband provider to switch, and you won’t need to speak to your current provider before making the move.

This will apply to all home broadband users, including cable and full-fibre customers. This means you can switch between different networks or technologies – for example, from a provider using the Openreach network to one using CityFibre’s, or from Virgin Media to Hyperoptic.

Unfortunately the new rules won't come in until April 2023.

Also see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58720516

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
7 REPLIES 7

jem101
Superstar

What could possibly go wrong?

Now I can see the advantage for users on a DSL connection where they must, by definition have an Openreach connection but doesn’t that happen now anyway.

But how can this possibly work for users on say VM who don’t happen to have a physical phone line. Are VM responsible for getting a line installed?

Expect a couple of stories in a few years about users suffering from slamming.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"But how can this possibly work for users on say VM who don’t happen to have a physical phone line. Are VM responsible for getting a line installed?"

If, as the op says, it is down to the new supplier to make the necessary arrangements the above scenario would not occur.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sololobo
Superstar

Further reading on the "One Touch Switch" process can be found in numerous .pdf reports on the Ofcom site here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/simpler-broadband-switching

For those considering switching from ADSL to Fibre, or Fibre to ADSL, I would suggest it prudent to ignore the "One Touch Switch" process altogether. Instead order a new installation of the alternative service and run both systems side by side to ensure you're happy with the results. Once you're satisfied then that's the time to arrange all the other details such as cancelling the old service, number porting etc.

While you may have to pay for two services for a short period, it's safer than running the risk of having no service at all.

It seems a somewhat pointless exercise if changing from one ADSL provider to another though.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

I can see some Pay TV customers being surprised to be informed that if they were to proceed with a broadband switch they would also lose their TV service. This applies to VM, BT TV and Talktalk TV who all require that you have to take their broadband if you subscribe to their TV* and that the TV doesn't work at all well without broadband.

* Apart from VM's TiVo but this will be gone within a few years.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Virgin Media with their own closed cable system of course requires a VM broadband connection, that goes without saying really. Does the same apply to other cable providers such as City Fibre? I have no idea.

BT TV already require their customers to have a BT broadband service, just as Talk Talk requires their customers to have a Talk Talk broadband service to access Talk Talk TV.

Sky however lets you use any broadband provider, for the time being at least.

Pay TV customers should be well aware of what packages are available from alternative providers before they consider switching. It shouldn't come as any sort of surprise to them when different providers offer different content. If they aren't happy with what's on offer elsewhere then they're free to stay with their current provider.

From what I've read, the "One Touch Switch" process is being introduced for those who have thoroughly investigated what's on offer from different providers and have chosen to switch to an alternative service, giving them one point of contact to manage their move.

I'm sure there are many potential objections to this process, data security, compliance with the General Data Protection Regulations, continuation of service during switchover and "slamming" to mention just a few, but "being surprised" by changes to TV packages when moving to another provider definitely shouldn't be one of them.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

@Sololobo wrote:

Pay TV customers should be well aware of what packages are available from alternative providers before they consider switching. It shouldn't come as any sort of surprise to them when different providers offer different content. If they aren't happy with what's on offer elsewhere then they're free to stay with their current provider.

I'm baffled why you, with 4.64K posts, would think that customers would be so clued up when all the evidence is that they often are barely aware of what they've got, which makes it unlikely that they will carry out the necessary research to find out what other providers offer.

@Sololobo wrote:

From what I've read, the "One Touch Switch" process is being introduced for those who have thoroughly investigated what's on offer from different providers and have chosen to switch to an alternative service, giving them one point of contact to manage their move.

The "One Touch Switch" is a process regardless of what investigation - if any - they've done on alternative providers.

@Sololobo wrote:

I'm sure there are many potential objections to this process, data security, compliance with the General Data Protection Regulations, continuation of service during switchover and "slamming" to mention just a few, but "being surprised" by changes to TV packages when moving to another provider definitely shouldn't be one of them.

Hardly anyone is aware of the consequences of Pay TV customers dropping broadband. Tell me on which web page does VM spell out which services are delivered by broadband to V6 and 360 customers. And one very good reason for keeping VM's broadband is that sooner or later the lack of it will cause boxes to become deactivated - which again is not something that VM tells its customers.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I wasn't sure whether to respond or not, but as I'm merely expressing my point of view here goes:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@Sololobo wrote:

I'm baffled why you, with 4.64K posts, would think that customers would be so clued up when all the evidence is that they often are barely aware of what they've got, which makes it unlikely that they will carry out the necessary research to find out what other providers offer.

You obviously have a lower opinion of the intelligence of VM customers than I do. It's a straightforward matter for them to view their itemised billing, check exactly what services they currently have, compare what's available elsewhere and make their choice accordingly. 

@Sololobo wrote:

The "One Touch Switch" is a process regardless of what investigation - if any - they've done on alternative providers.

As noted previously it's a process which can be bypassed. If moving from ADSL to Fibre or Fibre to ADSL, ordering the alternate service to run concurrently with the existing one has the benefit of ensuring continuity of service.

When the customer is satisfied that the new service meets their needs, that's when the unwanted contract can be cancelled. The downside is having to pay for two services for a short period, but better safe than sorry.

@Sololobo wrote:

Hardly anyone is aware of the consequences of Pay TV customers dropping broadband. Tell me on which web page does VM spell out which services are delivered by broadband to V6 and 360 customers. And one very good reason for keeping VM's broadband is that sooner or later the lack of it will cause boxes to become deactivated - which again is not something that VM tells its customers.

Customers would not be dropping their broadband service, just moving it to a different provider. The majority of streaming services, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, Now, BBC iPlayer, All 4 etc. are available on any broadband connection.

Of course I can't find a VM web page which spells out which services are delivered by broadband to V6 or 360 customers, I don't believe there is one - but I can find no options in which it's possible to order VM TV services without broadband. That tells me something.

As to VM's boxes being deactivated due to not having a broadband service from VM, not a problem if the customer has moved to a different provider.

Bear in mind that this process won't come into force until April 2023, and I'm only trying to inform and not instruct.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.