Menu
GarySmith2
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Surround sound V6 ARC incompatible

Hi (sorry if wrong forum) my V6 box is incompatible with my ARC Channel on my surround sound receiver so I can only connect non ARC channel direct to the TV. Does anyone know a workaround for this as I would love to use my ARC but phone support say they can’t help. They did send out a new box however this hasn’t helped the situation. Has anyone been able to use the ARC channel via the V6 box?

thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Surround sound V6 ARC incompatible

HDMI ARC is designed to come from your TV, not the V6 box.

So you should connect your V6 directly to your TV using any non-ARC HDMI socket that's compatible, and then the ARC HDMI port goes to your A/V kit, so that the TV can pass it's audio back through the A/V kit.

The other option is to use compatible A/V kit in-line between your V6 and the TV. In that setup both your A/V kit and TV have to have the same level of HDCP support otherwise it doesn't work - which is where ARC comes in.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Stephensmith2
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Benmcr ,thank for advice but it didn't work I thought  one hdmi should be able to pass sound and video  via the arc hdmi on  my Sony smart TV to my denon  receiver, which would be so much more convenient,  all settings for arc & hdmi are enabled. Vm engineer has told me my v6 box is not compatible  with arc .this was over a year ago so I was hoping  vergin media had updated it.

My set up at the moment v6 hdmi strait through  to Sony smart TV, optical lead to denon receiver. Ps this is the 2nd v6 box as the 1st developed  a fault but still can't  use ARC.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

ARC only works over HDMI as it's part of the HDMI standard, and is 'Audio Return Channel' so has nothing to do with video.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/hdmi-arc-faq,news-26262.html

It's designed to take audio from an input device such as a TV that has multiple HDMI devices connected to it and pass it backwards to one of them that can accept ARC input.

The V6 doesn't need to be ARC compatible as it's an output device only.

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Your setup is good where either the TV or receiver is HDCP 2.2 compliant. Ideally you want to connect the V6 to the receiver and the receiver to the TV (both by HDMI) which you can do if both are compliant to HDCP 2.2 or a previous version such as 1.4, but this is not possible if only one is HDCP 2.2 compliant.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Stephensmith2
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger , both TV and rieceiver are 2.2 compliant so it should  work  so it's got to be the v6 that's not comparable as the vm engineer pointed out, I must add arc does work if connected v6 via denon to TV arc that's one hdmi from denon to TV but after a couple of days just displays no signal,does anyone get 5.1 through their sound system via ARC  with vergin v6 with out problems.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So what happens when you connect the V6 to the receiver by HDMI and the receiver to the TV.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Stephensmith2
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger, if I connect v6 to receiver then output to non arc TV just the same happens it works  for couple  of day or so then when I switch  on I get no signal, 

As I'm connected v6 strait to TV then optical to receiver I have to play safe and reboot every day to be sure I get a signal, mostly I do but it really annoying if I have to reboot when recording  something,  so I've got  an  expensive  receiver and TV but  can't use it to it's full potential  ie ARC hdmi .

0 Kudos
Stephensmith2
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ps what really is frustrating is when I pick a Netflix film and I get a message we can't do this there is a problem so I have to reboot or ring Netflix so at the moment the only way is v6 TV + optical. Oh and reboot every day .
0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If you're getting that message that usually indicates there is a problem with the HDCP chain between the V6 box and your kit.

Are all of your HDMI cables High Speed HDMI? That can cause problems if they're not.

And if you get that when the V6 goes through Denon, but you don't when the V6 is directly connected to the TV, it sounds like it's something to with how the Denon amp talks to the V6 and the TV.

0 Kudos