Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Speed drop after Windows 10 update

Hi,

This problem is windows 10 related, I have the same issue and your team India are not very good....

I have a 200 meg connection and when all my window updates download it drops my service down to 97meg...

I have seen messages on the internet regarding windows 10 not talking to virgin media routers, so what is the fix?

So stop messing about and give us a decent fix...

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed drop after Windows 10 update

@dellman50 I have moved your post out of the thread it was originally posted in HERE as it is not relevant to the issue being addressed in that thread.  A reply on that thread would just cloud the issue for the user so I'm replying on this new thread.

@dellman50 wrote:

Hi,

This problem is windows 10 related, I have the same issue and your team India are not very good....

The issue that the user has is nothing to do with any version of Windows.  The figures posted clearly show an issue with hub having insufficient channels locked on which no OS on a user's device can impact.

I have a 200 meg connection and when all my window updates download it drops my service down to 97meg...

If you are testing your speed while the updates are downloading then the downloads will be using some of your bandwidth, just common sense.

I have seen messages on the internet regarding windows 10 not talking to virgin media routers, so what is the fix?

So stop messing about and give us a decent fix...

I have not seen evidence of Windows 10 not talking to VM routers on this forum or elsewhere. If this was genuinely an issue I would expect to be seeing a lot of posts about it on the forum.

Instead of hijacking somebody else's thread with information irrelevant to that thread, you might want to start your own thread with real evidence of your claims.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Why am I attacking someone else's thread?

Who said I was downloading updates while I was speed testing?

My phone and windows 7 laptop connect to my router at 200 meg no problems.

I bought a brand new dell 3565 laptop with windows 10 and after getting it home and setting  it up, it connected to the router @ 200 meg.

However, after windows 10 downloaded all of its latest updates, it has now dropped to 97 meg... Nothing to do with the router as I can re-install windows 10 on the laptop and it will connect @ 200 meg... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1mb or less, on a 200 supply.

@dellman50 wrote:

Why am I attacking someone else's thread?

I said hijacking and by that I meant you were making out that that user's issue was the same as your issue, which it very clearly was not and trying to make the thread about your issue not the OP's issue.

Who said I was downloading updates while I was speed testing?

My phone and windows 7 laptop connect to my router at 200 meg no problems.

I bought a brand new dell 3565 laptop with windows 10 and after getting it home and setting  it up, it connected to the router @ 200 meg.

However, after windows 10 downloaded all of its latest updates, it has now dropped to 97 meg... Nothing to do with the router as I can re-install windows 10 on the laptop and it will connect @ 200 meg... 

The wording in your post was not clear that the slow down was after finishing the downloads, so I made an assumption that on reflection was poor judgment on my part.  If VM are providing 200Mbps to the hub and it only slows after applying Windows updates then it looks to me like the fault lies with Microsoft not VM.  It seems odd to me to jump to the conclusion that VM have broken something after a change is made to Windows by MS. MS are infamous for breaking all versions of Windows over the years with some of their updates.  I'd makes sure that the Windows update hasn't changed a network setting or impacted a network driver before blaming VM.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do some troubleshooting.

Windows Key + i > Update & Security > Troubleshoot >
1. Click Internet Connections > Run the Troubleshooter
2. Click Network Adapter > Run the Troubleshooter

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

sca1972,

With the upmost respect I do not think you have a clue in regards to giving people advice.

Number 1, my windows 7 laptop needed an upgrade to its WIFI physical card to achieve speeds of 200 meg.

Number 2, windows 10 does blast all of its wifi drivers, mine is a qualcomm 9377 and after a reinstall of this driver and i am achieving 210 mps.

Number 3, why are you misleading people regarding the VM routers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i think you'll find he/she actually does have a clue.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@dellman50 wrote:

sca1972,

With the upmost respect I do not think you have a clue in regards to giving people advice.

Number 1, my windows 7 laptop needed an upgrade to its WIFI physical card to achieve speeds of 200 meg.

Number 2, windows 10 does blast all of its wifi drivers, mine is a qualcomm 9377 and after a reinstall of this driver and i am achieving 210 mps.

Number 3, why are you misleading people regarding the VM routers?

You are entitled to your opinion but my forum stats, VIP status and a 20 year career in IT would suggest I do have a clue, quite a few of them.  Also @chenks seems to think I have a clue, which is nice 👍

1. How does this relate to your original claim that VM need to fix their hubs to work with Windows 10 after an update?

2. So it wasn't an issue with the hub as you claim it was a Windows 10 driver issue.

2. Please explain how I'm misleading people with regard to the VM hubs?