Menu
jaydee742
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Smart TVs and WiFi

I have 2 Smart TVs. One is JVC which is connected to WiFi and works as expected when accessing Digital TV channels that require an internet connection. The second TV is a new Samsung which is also connected to my Wifi and works when selecting apps the require an internet connection, but when i try to access a digital TV channel that require internet i get this message 'This service is not available'. I have confirmed that both are connected to the Virgin Hub.

Samsung**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.13/24846.38WI-FI 5G VM
JVC**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.15/245.85WI-FI 5G VM

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smart TVs and WiFi

What Digital TV channels require a BB connection?
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If the apps are getting internet then that isn't the problem, do you have an ariel connection to the TV ?

What channels are you trying to get by the internet, as digital TV or most commonly called Freeview requires an ariel.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Looks like the OP may be talking about Freeview.  Some of the channels not accessible via an aerial are delivered by an internet connection - e.g. Ch 212 Yaas!! etc.

First off I would do a retune of the TV but this looks to be more of a Freeview issue than VirginTV??

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

There are a set of channels on Freeview (in the 200 range) that link to internet streams. These not only rely on WiFi or wired connections, but on the owners of the apps or streams keeping them up to date on all connected TVs. The only thing I can say is that some manufacturers only choose to send updates to models that are “recent”. The older your set is the more likely it is to be incompatible with any changes made.

As this thread is not VM tv related I’m going to shunt it to the general tech section before it causes confusion.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
jaydee742
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I do have an aerial connection to the TV and can receive all the DTV terrestrial channels. It's only when i select a channel that requires an internet connection (e.g. Channel 261 Racing TV) that i get the error message.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello

You are going to need to contact the manufacture of the TV as there is nothing that VM can do to resolve that as everything else is working.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Another thing I would try is going through the setup menus on the TV & look for a firmware update option. This will connect to the manufacturers website & check for any updates for your model of TV.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos
jaydee742
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have performed a channel re-tune, but channel in the 200 range that require internet are still not working.

0 Kudos
jaydee742
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The advice from samsung is to contact the Internet service provider.

0 Kudos