Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Should I have so much cabling?

I have just moved house and noticed there was a VM cable box outside. I therefore arranged to have VM installed. After the guy left there seemed to be an awful lot of black and white cabling. Is this normal? It looks a mess. I'm sure I didn't have all this before....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Should I have so much cabling?

Hi,

Where is all this 'Black & White' cabling?

The black cabling is normally all outside, from the point where the Virgin Media cable reaches your house/building, around the outside of the building to wherever they have drilled through to the inside - sometimes this looks like two cables run together - one is for the TV/Broadband, the other is for the phone.

The installs I have seen normally have one for the phone service, a box similar to a BT phone socket, and either one or two 'coax' termination points, again, these are neatly presented in a box on the wall. One is for TV, the other for Broadband. Some installs have only had one 'coax' termination point and then a 'Y' cable attached to that, the bottom of the 'Y' connects to the wall, the two upper connections to the TV and the Broadband/Superhub.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Post some photos.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wH2sLCipUb4TQHyu6

Sorry not black cabling, just all this white cabling. I dont know how to tidy it up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is the connection coming in from the street - goes in on the single site of the cream coloured connector block, the then the two connections going to the SuperHub (Broadband) and to the Tivo (TV) box. There is also a wired 'Ethernet' connection directly between the SuperHub and the Tivo box.

Personally, I would just coil them all neatly together into a single coil of cable about 6-8 inches across - (Not the black power cables or the white power cable from your 4 way extension block), if you have some cable ties or velcro you can wrap around and make it look neat. Make sure you make a smooth coil of cable, don't kink any of them.

CablesCables

To really help tidy it up, you could put them all into a small drawstring bag? The other alternative, depending on how hot your radiator gets would be to place the coil of cable vertically behind the bottom of the radiator?

Andrew

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There is enough coaxial cable length to move the V6 and the cabling away from the radiator. But  where does the cable enter the property? If it's behind the radiator then access to the socket is blocked and ideally you'd want the socket moved (if indeed there is a socket) - post a photo of what's behind the radiator.

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PfyGNP6yZriomFM87

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6jkPxk69HZVDxQyk6

The white cable has been pinned to the top of the skirting board from behind the radiator (pic 1) and followed through to the socket the engineer created (pic 2)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Oh good, so you can do some rearranging of the cable and V6.

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just concerned I might unplug something!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are worried something may come undone and you won't know where it goes, take plenty of photos before you start and also put some labels on the cables/where they plug in? If you have sticky labels, great, if not, just write on some paper and then wrap it tightly around the cable and then wrap around with sellotape - you will also ways know what goes where.

0 Kudos