Menu
Liamlyon96
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sh3>Netgear Switch>Accesspoint help

• I wanna get my set up like this to try and make my connection better for gaming I already have the netgear s8000 with my Xbox connected and set up with nearly perfect bufferbloat and that's using the sh3 in router mode with the wifi on still, can I turn off wifi on sh3 and get a router just for wifi connected to my netgear switch so I can better set up QoS and have everything going through the netgear switch. I need the sh3 to still use dhcp and upnp port forwarding etc for open nat type. Also any recommendations for a wifi router I have 5 wifi devices that are tablet 3 phones and smart TV 
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sh3>Netgear Switch>Accesspoint help

Connecting a simple switch to the hub in modem mode will not help you as the hub only allows traffic from a single source MAC/IP. You will need to connect the router to the hub and switch to router.

Here is a router to look at.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MU-MIMO-Wireless-StreamBoost-Beamforming-Antennas/dp/B01GHAWAFY/ref=sr_1_10...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Liamlyon96
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This switch I have is for QoS each port can have priority from low to critical lowering my bandwidth for my Xbox on it helps the buffer bloat but only my Xbox is connected to it with sh3 in uplink to the switch what if I just turn the wifi off and use another router for wifi while still having sh3 usin for dhcp 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

if you just want everything though the switch.
1) leave the Hub in router mode
2) connect one cable from hub to switch
3) Connect ALL wired devices to the switch
4) turn off wifi on the hub
5) add your own Wireless access point and connect to the switch
0 Kudos
Liamlyon96
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bought a Asus router that I can turn into access point mode so do I just connect a cable from the switch to Ethernet port on it or the wan port on my asus router  ? 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

did you read the setup insructions that came with the asus routers? one would assume it tells you what to do.

however, my guess is that that WAN port is only to be used if you are using it in router mode.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Liamlyon96
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just bought the asus router lastnigjt waiting for it to be sent out, I've been using a netgear s8000 with just my Xbox connected to get near perfect bufferbloat but I'm not getting use out of the port priority hopefully this set up helps my gaming 

0 Kudos