Menu
ultimatealanjuk
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Second Broadband Installation Upstairs

Hi,

We are setting up a home office upstairs as we are now working from home permanently. Is it possible to get a second Virgin cable/router fitted upstairs?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second Broadband Installation Upstairs

Is this to move your current connection or do you want something dedicated for work.

If moving existing connection it will need a technician visit at a cost .

If you want a 2nd broadband connection for work purposes then you can contact Virgin Media Business and they will sort you out.

I must add that Virgin Media residential services are not intended for business use and won't be guarenteed to keep you online, moving to a business service would be recommended and depending on what other services are available in your area I would suggest taking an additional service with a different provider to ensure that if an outage in your area affects Virgin Media's network you will still be online using the alternative connection.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
ultimatealanjuk
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Second cable connection

Hi,

We are setting up a home office upstairs as we are now working from home permanently. Is it possible to get a second Virgin cable/router fitted upstairs?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second cable connection

you can only have one router per account.
You can use a ethernet cable from the hub to the upstairs and install your own access (wireless) and switch for more wired ports

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you have an old router it can be repurposed to extend your network, come back here if you need help in getting it configured.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

it is possible to have a second hub but this will need to be a second account for the same address. This means two subscriptions.

if you would like to go ahead with this please message me some details privately and I will help you out, it’s not a common process.

thanks

jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ultimatealanjuk wrote:

Hi,

You can as already stated, via a second account & a seperate installation. This literally means a second line from the cabinet to your house, seperate omnibox & wiring. Everything.

So I have to ask, what is the advantage of having two services that will BOTH go down if there is a problem. Many in your situation would simply get a second service via their BT line (for which you would pay about the same or maybe less) & then you have a backup system at your fingertips should either service have issues.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I’d you have two ISPs you can get a router that will give either automatic fall over if one service fails or set it up as load sharing between ISPs.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
BumbleVMTech
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You wouldnt be able to have 2 accounts at same address and it would be cheaper just to run cat5e or 6 ethernet cable from the hub to the other room, then use a switch or AP.

Regards

Rich

Here to help! I'm a Field Technician helping out from home.

Find out more
REFER A FRIEND AND SHARE £100 BETWEEN YOU

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@BumbleVMTech “You wouldnt be able to have 2 accounts at same address” NOT SO, there are users on this board who have two services at the same address. Also what about all the students who have this when they are house sharing. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2