cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM numbers or NOT

Paulmc63
Joining in

Hi , I have been getting phone calls from these numbers saying they are virgin media sale .. 08001836408  08001836411   08001836416   , I tried to contact virgin on the 150 number , got through to someone  to talk about it then they cut me off after waiting 35 mins on hold ..  Anyone know the answer 

thank you

9 REPLIES 9

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is utterly useless to know if these phone numbers are “owned” by VM. It is exceeding easy to spoof numbers so the caller ID number that comes up should NEVER be trusted. /

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

SonarUK
Rising star
I recommend

TrueCall - The Nuisance Call Blocker
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TrueCall-The-Nuisance-Call-Blocker-White-Silver/dp/B002GP7HQM

or

BT Advanced Cordless Home Phone with 100 Percent Nuisance Call Blocking and Answering Machine, Twin Handset Pack, Black
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Cordless-Nuisance-Answering-Black/dp/B0787H2X6Q

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Gig1 | Hub 5 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U | Asus RT-AC86U

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I still think £99 for that is a waste of money. It works on Caller ID and if someone spoofs a real number what do you do.

Nothing works better than a bit of common sense and it’s free.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The caller ID is only part of the screening process. It doesn't matter if the caller ID is faked or not.

Known/approved callers logged in the phone/device address book ring straight through. Anyone else is challenged to state who they are and press a key on the phone. Only then does the customer's phone ring and they hear the announcement from the caller and can accept/reject the call. Any caller not completing the screening process has their call dropped without the customer's phone ringing.

Greatest benefit is against the automated diallers which cannot comply with the button press and so those calls are dropped without the phone ringing. Either of the devices mentioned restores the phone to normal use without having to manually screen calls and decide whether to answer or not. Even if a scam caller breaks through the first layer of screening, the recipient can still reject the call without speaking to the scam caller.

Just a matter of how many scam calls you receive each day and how much they annoy you as to whether the devices are VFM or not.

I run an older version of the BT phone provided above.

I have got 0 spam calls over the past 3 years.

The phone does not not make a sound unless your in my address book. Ive had no "spoof" callers. bare in mind they have got to know which numbers are stored in my address book to get through which is no way possible.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Gig1 | Hub 5 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U | Asus RT-AC86U

i know bt scam it calls your virgin media line about your boardband i know i have both of them i knew it was a scam becuse it was on the virgin media line not my bt one becuse i don't have a phone connected to the bt one anyway and i got one from amazon too i know i don't have the number on my account only my moblie they never call it so i just block the numbers you do not know i only given my landline number to only family members and my moblie have true number thing it fetches if its reported spam or not i do google search the numbers come though but it gets blocked if i know its spam or scam numbers good thing companys provde caller id for free now

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

I just had a call from 0800 183 6411.  Thought it was a scam as it was the third call in the day, first was Amazon, second was a reduction in my boiler cover, although they couldn't tell me what model of boiler I had.  Then the call from Virgin, awful line, sounded like Indian call centre, couldn't understand the operator and loads of talking in the background.  Wanted to confirm who I was and the conversation was being recorded.  Unfortunately as it sounded just like the previous call I lost it and may have brought someones parentage into the conversation.  It ended with the usual two word sentence, the second word being off.  After checking the number and reading past postings on the forum, it was indeed from Virgin Media.  It would appear that this  has happened a few times last year and nothing has been done to improve what is a very shoddy marketing organisation.  Doesn't anyone from management ever read some of these forum posts?  I'm really not impressed.

michaeljwalker
Just joined

Being pestered by calls from 0800 1836411 to my mobile phone (not on Virgin mobile). Can hardly understand the caller, something about returning unused equipment. Can't believe this could possibly be from Virgin!

@michaeljwalker wrote:

Being pestered by calls from 0800 1836411 to my mobile phone (not on Virgin mobile). Can hardly understand the caller, something about returning unused equipment. Can't believe this could possibly be from Virgin!

Do you actually have any equipment that might need returning?

A similar topic was posted a little while ago which sounded very much like a phishing attempt for some kind of fake equipment return call.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Phone-call-asking-if-we-had-any-old-equipment/...

Does your call sound familiar?