Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

SAFE BROWSING

ONLINE THREATS- unusual event

today my antivirus blocked two attempts to infect while browsing  using the edge browser. One was via amazon aws called js:downlader-csy (trojans) and the other was a web site with URL:Phising.

not sure if genuine threats or false positives but antivirus avoided the these web sites

I am aware of various browser extensions for safe browsing  usually free but are they private/secure? some use add blockers.

I use either edge or chrome usually, there may be other browsers? The antivirus does catch some threats but I am concerned just clicking on any unknown web site can infect the computer.

I use opera on my android tablet which works well.

so what is best secure  browser?, the best "safe  browser" extension? and is it safer to use an android device for browsing rather than  windows pc?

computers are secure until connected to web sites when clicking on  search results could pick a web site which can infect your computer so easily if not protected, the internet www is not a safe place but restricting access to trusted sites only is difficult and probably not realistic.

I have rest all my browsers in case they were infected. So just wondered with windows 10 the best policy to stay as secure as possible, or is that impossible?

I did use fsecure for the free trial period but now use other antivirus which is cheaper/free

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: SAFE BROWSING

safe browsing- update.

Lost Microsoft edge today stopped working but managed to fix it.

Security is too complex, so as no answers to this one I assume the post  dead.

Since I removed the free fsecure ( high cost after free year) I have experimented with many antivirus products both paid and free.

One paid alternative   gave me  more malware issues so ditched that one.

I now use a mix of free and paid antivirus but as security is complex, I provide my own answers that work for me.

thread closed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

laptop froze today with windows update, crashed  and disabled everything including antivirus.

Had to use my  boot disk win10 and usb recovery stick to get it going again, no sign of virus, could not even recover it as no recovery point even though one was set up by myself. have put computer into local login, the recovery option password would not accept Microsoft account password. At least got it going and saved £50 fees charged by most shops for repair.

My other laptop had the same update earlier but was ok.

Always difficult to choose the best recovery option but managed to save all my files this time.

The recovery points never seem to work for some reason, windows 10 is difficult at times.

Still do not know what happened as I had just downloaded a jpg convertor  but it checked clear of virus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Some brands of equipment (PC laptop eg Lenovo etc) won't update to Windows 10 2004 as there are built-in conflicts from the manufacturer, so you will have to get updates directly from them, not Microsoft.

With regards to online security, it's not just one thing but a whole plethora of things that need to be installed to help avoid the pitfalls.  The problem that comes from that is equipment is often slowed down.

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Buffer6 wrote:

Some brands of equipment (PC laptop eg Lenovo etc) won't update to Windows 10 2004 as there are built-in conflicts from the manufacturer, so you will have to get updates directly from them, not Microsoft.

Manufacturer conflicts apparently include Microsoft's own Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 devices.
https://www.theregister.com/2020/06/10/windows_10_2004_surface_fix/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I use multiple means of keeping bad stuff away. Apart from browser security I have:

• Bullguard Internet Security
  • Acronis True Image 2020 Active Protection (stops ransomeware)
  • Hosts file (blocks a host of unwanted stuff)
  • 9.9.9.9 DNS (blocks malicious domains)
--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for advice.

I will check to see if there are any updates from asus, my laptop is getting old now, 6 years now

My other laptop is acer no bother updating windows but less than a year old runs a light version of windows win10s, but will not run some software even though I switched  off protection mode. Also limited storage on this one. However a very fast laptop using stripped down version of windows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I used bullguard for a few years has good support but still got virus's occasionaly that bullguard could not remove and had to use rogue killer or adwcleaner.

I have tried acronis true image myself seems good.

I have tried 9.9.9.9. quad9 but found search result a bit restricted but probably very secure, I am using open dns at present which does give some protection

Not familiar with host file?

I use Malwarebytes pro with free Avast (just for scanning) and rogue killer (free) and adwcleaner with occasion online scan from eset

My other laptop has free avast with protection, malwarebytes free (for scanning), trend houscall online scanner, adwcleaner and windows firewall control.

Avast useful as it can do a boot up scan and has a wifi inspector. However avast deleted my recovery partition  on old xp computer no longer used now think the hard drive has gone, so setting are important with antivirus products.

It is wise just to have just one active protection other wise clashes can occur, and windows defender switches off if you have your own protection but can still do one off scans with defender. The problem with defender is that has no active interface.

I find Malwarebytes pro  is good for blocking dangerous web sites.

Avast can scan emails.

I spite of all the precautions, clicking on a dodgy email or website can still let virus/malware into your computer. The problem then is removing it if the antivirus can not remove it, hence I use several products for security similar to you.

Thanks for all the feedack, very helpful to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You won't want to run two anti-virus programs simultaneously but a good strategy is to turn off the main one and run a second one manually every week to give you that bit of extra security.

It's worth giving a host file a try, you'd be amazed how many pop ups and other unwanted stuff is blocked.

I forgot to mention that untrusted apps can be run in a Windows sandbox or Acronis Try and Decide.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

windows update-managed at last.

My asus laptop software is 2013 windows  8 so checked with asus and there was an update in 2019 so installed that and seems to have helped, as I managed to update windows 10 today after the recovery recently, needed 3 windows updates.

The laptop is old now but still going for a while longer on windows 10 I hope. Modern laptop have no disk optical drive now, had to buy a remote disk drive for my new  laptop, useful for making boot disk or loading software etc or downloading to disk.

Thanks a lot for the tip of checking for updates from the manufacturer.

0 Kudos